Photo shoot with Chrystal (C&C Welcome)

Scott Murray

Please comment on these photos as I add them, anything will do. The first lot were a fitness kind of shoot so emphasising muscle definition etc is the key. Any feedback would be great.

SHM_7011.jpg

Deleted

Some nice shots Scott, Chrystal looks at ease & I'm sure that she'll like the pics.

It seems weird suggesting things to you, but I did do some semi-pro portrait work many years ago. The shots don't seem to have the usual "Scott punch" to them. Focus looks a little soft & needs some punch with some backlighting maybe? I know that it's difficult with amateur models, but I think more eye contact is needed. Otherwise why not approach in a different way & treat it as figure photography? That way, with some more direct lighting, the model's expression becomes less important than the shape of the figure. I'm sure that you could find some b&w figure shots for inspiration & discuss them with Chrystal.

Scott Murray

Some nice shots Scott, Chrystal looks at ease & I'm sure that she'll like the pics.

It seems weird suggesting things to you, but I did do some semi-pro portrait work many years ago. The shots don't seem to have the usual "Scott punch" to them. Focus looks a little soft & needs some punch with some backlighting maybe? I know that it's difficult with amateur models, but I think more eye contact is needed. Otherwise why not approach in a different way & treat it as figure photography? That way, with some more direct lighting, the model's expression becomes less important than the shape of the figure. I'm sure that you could find some b&w figure shots for inspiration & discuss them with Chrystal.
Its Ok mate, I am stepping out of my comfort zone doing these and am just happy that Chrystal wants to work with me, I will be working on this and maybe working with another mate who has studio lights etc and we will pick each others brains. This is definitely my weakness and alot different from wildlife / macro / landscape and even selfies lol. So thanks for all the input I appreciate it.

Here is another shot, by the way I am not happy with any of these as I know I can do better. But you have to start somewhere.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think you need a large white surface to bounce a bit of light to fill in the shadows just a tad. The light is too brutal and reveals too much flaws in her. And I find the skin tones a bit cold for this kind of pictures.

One thing I did notice is the f16... way too much for a D800. If you try to stick below f11, you should have more definition.

Also you'll have to be careful with details (the bra should not be seen sticking out of the outfit), and some shadows are not pleasing (this could be retouched though).

Nice features and figure that you could work with and room for improvement.

Make sure you constantly talk to her and direct her so the communication between her eyes and the camera can be well perceived.

Scott Murray

I think you need a large white surface to bounce a bit of light to fill in the shadows just a tad. The light is too brutal and reveals too much flaws in her. And I find the skin tones a bit cold for this kind of pictures.

One thing I did notice is the f16... way too much for a D800. If you try to stick below f11, you should have more definition.

Also you'll have to be careful with details (the bra should not be seen sticking out of the outfit), and some shadows are not pleasing (this could be retouched though).

Nice features and figure that you could work with and room for improvement.

Make sure you constantly talk to her and direct her so the communication between her eyes and the camera can be well perceived.
Yeah I used F/16 to try and cut out ambient light, maybe a wrong choice. But just trial and error.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Hi, Scott. I have zero experience with studio lighting, so I won't be able to offer any technical notes. I just thought I'd let you know my opinion on the general look of these shots. I think there is too much area in each picture that is dark. I understand the dramatic effect of the light fall off, I just think there is too much of it. I really like the idea, and the composition is great.

Take this for what it's worth, just one guy's opinion. And this is a guy who uses the sun as his light source 99% of the time. :)

Deleted

A really great smile in the first of the jungle shots! :D

I think it's good that you're trying different props, but try to sort out if you're looking for glamour shots or figure work. It's a bit of both at the moment & I think that's why it doesn't quite click. Meanwhile, see if you can get a really good portrait shot of Chrystal with that great smile. A great shot can keep her onboard & interested.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Hi, Scott. I have zero experience with studio lighting, so I won't be able to offer any technical notes. I just thought I'd let you know my opinion on the general look of these shots. I think there is too much area in each picture that is dark. I understand the dramatic effect of the light fall off, I just think there is too much of it. I really like the idea, and the composition is great.

Take this for what it's worth, just one guy's opinion. And this is a guy who uses the sun as his light source 99% of the time. :)

I agree that there is a lot of black but I was hiding horrible outside stuff so it was a necessity and being a trial shoot it doesn't matter so much. Thank you for your input as it is always welcome.

A really great smile in the first of the jungle shots! :D

I think it's good that you're trying different props, but try to sort out if you're looking for glamour shots or figure work. It's a bit of both at the moment & I think that's why it doesn't quite click. Meanwhile, see if you can get a really good portrait shot of Chrystal with that great smile. A great shot can keep her onboard & interested.

I was trying for a trial run and play with different things, Wasn't looking for the normal run of the mill portrait shoot etc. It was more lets play and see. Wait for the next lot ;)

ShootRaw

Ok Scott...Firstly for the fitness shots..Normally a 3 light set up is best..A rim light on each side behind the subject..And a main light boomed over for the fill..(Joel Grimes set-up) Remember if you want to show definition of muscles, you should rake the light across... If using one light bring it 45 or so degrees...or if doing a frontal bring light alitte higher and point 45 degrees down..Alot of these pics the exposure seems off. I will leave this one pic a did with one light raking light across body..Hope this helps Scott..
DSC_4986CCjpeg.jpg