Music Band photography ideas

hulk2012

I'm about to photograph a music band of 4 young men and would like your advice in terms of ideas. It is a rap music band with one mc. Would actually like to do something unique, stand out, different though..

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted

You're giving people nothing to go on here as there's no info apart from 4 guys. A string quartet is going to need different shots than a rock band. :)

Deleted

OK, I'd browse every Rap music website I can find & choose a couple of styles you like.

How about some grainy urban street shots?

BackdoorArts

Having been in plenty of bands over time, this is one of those things that is best a collaborative effort between photographer and band. Do they want something unique or something "like these guys"? If they want something unique then it needs to be a shared vision. The problem is, there are so many bands over time that to find something truly unique you usually have to steal it from someone else. Just don't grab it from someone well known or in the same country.

I've got one recommendation I always give everyone who wants to shoot anything - go to 500px and search on what it is you want to shoot and grab some inspiration. I did a quick search on "Rap Artist" and "Rap Group" and there are plenty of images there to both provide inspiration and to make you say, "Yeah, I really want to avoid that pose". As with all band photos, stay away from brick walls and train tracks. It's the magnet that pulls every band and photographer there only to produce the photo that screams "Your band sucks!!"

hulk2012

Having been in plenty of bands over time, this is one of those things that is best a collaborative effort between photographer and band. Do they want something unique or something "like these guys"? If they want something unique then it needs to be a shared vision. The problem is, there are so many bands over time that to find something truly unique you usually have to steal it from someone else. Just don't grab it from someone well known or in the same country.

I've got one recommendation I always give everyone who wants to shoot anything - go to 500px and search on what it is you want to shoot and grab some inspiration. I did a quick search on "Rap Artist" and "Rap Group" and there are plenty of images there to both provide inspiration and to make you say, "Yeah, I really want to avoid that pose". As with all band photos, stay away from brick walls and train tracks. It's the magnet that pulls every band and photographer there only to produce the photo that screams "Your band sucks!!"

Great advice. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD