Strange Buffer Clearing Issue Last Night

BackdoorArts

After an exhausting day at work I was happy to grab my D610 and head out to see a free concert with Coco Montoya in Bethlehem last night. I brought the D610 (w/grip) and 70-200mm f/4, and stuck the EyeFi card in there to possibly upload jpegs to Facebook during the evening.

After originally shooting a few JPEG's I decided I didn't want to be bothered, so I switched the camera back to RAW only, but I didn't change the Card 2 function back to overflow. As I was shooting from the front of the stage I noticed that the camera had stopped firing, and when I looked at the buffer counter in the viewfinder I was seeing '[r00]' or '[r01]' and it wasn't increasing very quickly. I went back to my seat on the lawn to try and figure it out, and watched the little green light on the back of the camera stay lit for a long time. When it stopped writing (about a minute later) I turned the camera off and back on. I then went into the menus and changed the Card 2 function to overflow. I don't know which of those two things fixed my problem, but it worked fine the rest of the night. Before anyone asks, the card in slot 1 was a Sandisk Extreme Pro w/ 92Mbps write speeds, and both cards were formatted in-camera at the beginning of the night.

One other odd thing that happened was that after the "reboot" the AE/AF button on my grip (a Nikon, not 3d party, and I was using 2 Nikon batteries) changed from AF only back to the default setting. Grip seems to have been fully tightened or I would think that perhaps there was a communications glitch with it.

Weird, and slightly disconcerting glitch. Gonna keep an eye out to see if it happens again.