Which Camera to buy?

Mikey Tommy

Hi,

I'm Mikey and I want to start off by saying thank you for accepting me into this forum. I do apologize if this is not the correct place for this question. But here we go.

Hi all,

I am very very new the DSLR world. So please ignore the rookie/beginner/noob questions. I genuinely love photography but need a little guidance on where to start. I’ve been youtube’ing tutorials and camera reviews like a mad man. There seems to be a lot to know about photography (lens, camera, filters, iso, aperture, shutter speed). I guess the main step is getting the machine.

Which camera would be best suited for me? In your opinion, of course.

I do understand that it’s not the paint brush that makes art, but the man. But with better hardware, the brush can only extenuate the picture. I would like to take majority portraits. Also down the line would like to have a 1080p video option. Also I do plan to buy used.

I’ve been looking at a few models but don’t really know which the best option is.

D300S – Seems to be a very reliable camera. No real issues. The megapixels scare me, but I’ve been told that megapixels aren’t everything, but I would like the option to make a poster. The image quality seems to be lower than newer pro cameras. The access to a lot of lenses is reassuring. The full magnesium body and the weather proofing is a huge plus. Lastly the video records in 720p, but I don’t think that’s a make or break thing.

D7000- I’ve been reading debates between the D7000 and the D300S. The D7000’s oil issue seems to a huge concern among owners. How much of a concern is oil/dirt on the sensor. All cameras should be cleaned regularly but I’ve watched videos where after 1000 shots the filth comes back. But it would seem that the D7000 does everything better than or equal to the D300S. Not to mention its cheaper. The body is also only partial magnesium.

D600- Kai Wong from Digital Rev TV says that this is pretty much a hybrid of the D7000 and the D800. Again it has an oil issue. YES! there is a recall to fix the issue but I don’t know if I want a camera that I need to mail in right off the back. The camera on paper has everything that I want.

D800- This would be solely to have something that I could grow into. The 36+ megapixels is a little crazy. I do not have any plans for any sports photography. The only reason I bring this camera up is because I feel comfort in having options. This is most likely rookie thinking but that’s why I’m asking. This would be a camera that I could do just about anything my little heart desired. This seems to be the one stop shop.

D50- I bought this a few months back and am currently learning on. The 6 megapixels makes me feel lesser than. Not gonna lie. But it’s great, reliable camera. Would you suggest improving the glass, instead of dropping 1500-2500 on a camera? I want to upgrade, but I’d love to know if that’s even necessary.

How important are good lens?

Alot fan boys seem to only flock to the holy trinity. I can see they are good, but are they that good? If I were to pick up the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm lens, which body would make the most sense for me?

Lastly
I have looked at entry level cameras. They are nice, but it’s something I can see myself exchanging in the near future. I don’t want to have a camera for 6 months, I want a partner that will last me until the last click, giving me the opportunity to be as creative as possible and clearly showing that.
Thanks for listening and hopefully responding :)

adityasoman

Welcome welcome

Cameras u mentioned are DX(meaning cropped sensor) and FX(Full frame)
D7000 is a good camera..i dont own one so cant say about the oil issue

Good glass is as important as the camera..it should compliment the sensor well..
Holy trinity covers the most used focal length upto 200..and the have fixed aperture of 2.8..build quality is top notch..so yes..u'll feel the difference between a normal lens and good lens( as basic as dx 35 f1/.8 )
U can also find used lenses on ebay..or get factory refurbs

Invest more in glass..

More experienced members will help you shortly :)
Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Mikey,

Welcome to Nikonites. Buying a camera is like buying a pair of shoes, some fit and some don't. I's suggest that you get in a camera shop and hold a few contenders in your own hands. Reading reviews until you're sick won't mean that you'll get the camera you need. You also have to consider budget, if your's is unlimited it's one thing that can change the decision, if not, then you'll have to do like most of us and compromise.

I think (without knowing what your photographic interests are) that you'd be very well served with a D7100. It's probably the best cropped sensor Nikon has to offer at this time. Now you can be assured that in the future they will come out with a newer shinier model that will make your mouth water. Don't worry, this is a fact of life. I suggest the D7100 because you'll be left with some money to get good lenses. For the 7100, I say you should get it with the 18-140 and then maybe get a 17-55 2.8 or a 35 1.8 and an 85 1.8. And then, if you have cash left, get a Tokina 11-16 2.8. With this, you'd be covered for a lot of situations. Now if you're into bird in flight photography, you might as well get a second mortgage on your house :). The Tamron latest zoom has gotten great reviews for the money.

Good luck with your decision.

Horoscope Fish

Based on your post I'm going to suggest either the D5300 or the D7100. Either one would serve you well for some time to come. I personally think that at this moment in time, the D5300 hits the price versus performance "sweet spot". The D7100 is everything the D5300 is, image quality-wise, but with a healthy dose of "nice to haves". I assure you, with either camera, it won't be your kit that's the limiting factor in what you can creatively turn out; both of those cameras have plenty of horsepower for anything your creative juices can come up with. As I've said before, if you can't take great shots with a D3100 you won't be taking great shots given a D800, you'll just be out more money. That being said, if you want to go full-frame, but are concerned about the oil on the sensor issue of the D600, get the D610 instead and worry not.

How important are good lenses? Their importance can not, I don't think, be overstated. Good glass is absolutely crucial to getting the most out of your camera.

Last edited:

Mikey Tommy

All of you are amazing!!! Thank you times infinite. It sounds like a couple have suggested the 7100. I'll go to my local shop and check it out. Thanks Marcel for the lens suggestions.

rwdflynavy

I will echo others, I think the 7100 is a great choice. A fantastic camera with an internal focus motor, which means you can use any Nikon lens since like 1977. With the 7100 you can start to invest in high quality glass that you would be unable to autofocus on other DX cameras like the 5300 or 3300. After you learn on the 7100 you can make an informed decision about FF in the future.

Krs_2007

Thats interesting, never heard the D7K has oil issues. Never encountered mine that I had for a year.

Honestly, outside of what has been mentioned to me previously I would recommend you go get your hands on the ones you are interested in. The comfort/feel is important as well.

A lot of users seem really happy with the D7100 and I myself will be getting one soon.

The FX/DX is something you will really need to determine but I would lean towards the DX platform till you are really sure the FX offers you something you are missing with the DX. You can always use FX lenses on a DX camera and that way if you ever move to FX you already have your glass covered. Although there is some great DX glass out there like mentioned above. I loved my 18-105, but sold it with my D7k.

I would check out some comparison videos on YouTube, look up FroKnowsPhoto as he does some of the best intro videos for most Nikon camera models if not all of them. I like the way he does his stuff and it was easier for me to grasp when I started 2 years ago. I wanted to make sure I made the right decision before I laid out the cash for it. If I had to do it over again I would have kept my D7k and just bought the D600 outright, but hind sight is always 20/20.

Blacktop

D50- I bought this a few months back and am currently learning on. The 6 megapixels makes me feel lesser than. Not gonna lie. But it’s great, reliable camera. Would you suggest improving the glass, instead of dropping 1500-2500 on a camera? I want to upgrade, but I’d love to know if that’s even necessary.

Sounds like you're enjoying photography.
I would suggest the D7100. If you are buying new, then I would get one with the 18-140 lens combo. This will cost you around $1400.00
If you get a refurb 7100 for 900 dollars and a used 18-140mm for around 300 dollars, that's only a 200 dollar savings. Spend the extra 200 and get it new.

After you use this combo for a while, you will start to see which focal range you use the most. If you're mostly shooting at wide range, like 18-50 mm or so, and you think that you would like to go even wider, then invest some money in a really nice quality wide angle lens.
If you are finding that you like to shoot at the longer range of the lens, then go ahead and invest in a good quality long lens.

I would not suggest starting out and buying expensive glass before you figure out what it is that you like to shoot.
The 18-140 is a great zoom lens that will teach you a lot. After you figure out which quality lenses that you desire, then you can sell your 18-140 as it holds it's value really well,

Mikey Tommy

Thanks again. All this information from you all have been really beneficial. I'm really considering the d7100. Thanks to @Blacktop for the pricing information and possible bundles. Hopefully I will have some shots to show you all.

egosbar

id probably go the d7100 , i own one and its great , its by no means a beginners camera but there is always auto while your learning
good glass is important , try to get the 50mm 1.8 tossed in the deal , its only about 120 bucks

i got mine for 1258 of ebay new with 55-300 and 18-55 , ive added the 50mm and a tokina 11-16 , a nikon 105mm macro i need to add and im pretty set