Raw Bit setting

Ruidoso Bill

How many folks with the d300 are shooting in raw 14 bit versus 12 bit. Images are larger with 14 bit, that tells me they contain more data but is there any signifcant difference excluding really high iso?

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

If it's good for John I'll do the same! Just curious what others were doing, I have read everything from insignificant to it helps color depth, shadow details and high iso performance. It also slows down FPS since there is more data being written. I figure it's there for a reason, my D200 isn't changeable, just 12 bit.

Last edited:

Browncoat

I use 14-bit. There really isn't a noticeable difference until you get to high ISO levels or if you do some major cropping. If you're going to switch to 14-bit, better make sure your memory card write speed is top of the line, because you will notice a slow down.

Ruidoso Bill

Just ordered a Sandisk Extreme 60mb udma, should be fast enough so guess I'll shoot 14 bit from now on. Thanks for all the input. This card should help a little on an occasional quick burst.

Last edited:

LensWork

The card write speed is only a part of the equation. The D300 is limited to a maximum of ~2.5 fps in 14-bit mode, regardless of how fast the card is.

Last edited:

Browncoat

The card write speed is always the weakest link of the chain. If the card can't keep up, it doesn't matter how fast the camera shoots.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I normally shoot in 14-bit EXCEPT when shooting sports as 14-bit does significantly slow the FPS rate on a D300.

Same here. When shooting sports (which is rare for me), I'll often flip over to jpeg as well to maximize FPS.

Stangman98

I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering why some of you switch to Jpeg instead of RAW for sports. My idea of RAW is to get as much color data as possible. I shooting drag racing and try to do that in RAW so that I can get as much of the color spectrum as possible.

LensWork

If shooting for immediate posting of in-game/race images, I will shoot RAW+JPG and transmit the JPG images as they are much smaller files. They also do not require any conversion before they are published to the web.

Stangman98

If shooting for immediate posting of in-game/race images, I will shoot RAW+JPG and transmit the JPG images as they are much smaller files. They also do not require any conversion before they are published to the web.

I agree with that. Most of the guys that I shoot with that sell on site shoot Jpeg and while I understand the instant gratification needed by the customer, we then aren't providing them with the best possible shot correct?

LensWork

I agree with that. Most of the guys that I shoot with that sell on site shoot Jpeg and while I understand the instant gratification needed by the customer, we then aren't providing them with the best possible shot correct?

I was referring to images that I shoot that are posted on NASCAR.com, MLB.com, NFL.com, etc. during the event for virtually real-time updates to their web sites; no need for 14-bit RAW images there. I still capture everything in RAW as well for later publication in print.

Stangman98

I was referring to images that I shoot that are posted on NASCAR.com, MLB.com, NFL.com, etc. during the event for virtually real-time updates to their web sites; no need for 14-bit RAW images there. I still capture everything in RAW as well for later publication in print.

I see. I thought you meant on spot customers.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering why some of you switch to Jpeg instead of RAW for sports. My idea of RAW is to get as much color data as possible. I shooting drag racing and try to do that in RAW so that I can get as much of the color spectrum as possible.

It is a trade off. Shooting JPEG increases the burst speed.