In camera zoom question ??? D5300

JH Foto

You have an image and you can zoom in on the camera is there any way of saving that image. I know you can trim I don't mean that...????

WayneF

Not the way you mean, but that is what photo editors are for. Your editor can later crop in the same way (like your previous zoom), and save that. The zoom is just showing a crop.

WayneF

Right, you lose pixels when you crop (or trim, same thing).

The camera LCD lets you scroll around on the zoomed image, and you can do the same in your photo editor after zooming.

But once you crop (or trim), then all the rest is gone, and you are left with a smaller image (pixel dimension wise).

The answer (to the loss of pixels when zooming) is to zoom with your camera lens, before you snap the shutter. Then you capture that zoomed picture, but still have full pixel resolution.

WayneF

Well, depends on your usage goal, but most purposes don't need 24 megapixels, so some cropping should be doable. Printing large needs more, but display on a HD 1920x1080 screen is only 2 megapixels.

aroy

I regularly shoot bugs with my kit 18-55 and then trim it. Considering that a small bug of 6mm takes up about 600 pixels on the D3300, that is good enough for most uses. If you display your images on the web and rarely print large a 2MP crop of the 24MP is all that you need. Even at 300DPI a 24MP image will print 20 inches by 13.5 inches. So in my personal opinion you can crop away to glory without loosing any details.