IR camera help please

mikew_RIP

First sorry i haven't been around much lately but one or two problems have diminished my desire to take pictures so having a break.

Just seen an add for D70 cameras converted to IR @ £145 not bothered about the 6.1mp but have ask him what he does for the focus compensation he mentions,this is the add how does it sound to the folks that know as at that price i thought it could be fun.

Nikon D70 Infrared converted camera body. (No lens)

Used condition camera. Converted to 690nm infrared for hand held infrared photos.
Pop up flash not working but not needed on infrared camera.

Only £145!!!

Protech will charge you £210 to convert your own camera for infrared. I'm including the camera for less :)

Comes boxed with original battery and original charger, instructions,strap and leads.

690nm, the most versatile filter great for colour and black & white infrared.
Photos taken with the same filter with custom white balance set against tarmac road.
The 2nd photo of the light blue grass is straight from camera jpeg. Others have channel swap colour boost etc.

Focus has been adjusted very slightly for nikon 18-55 kit lens for the shift in infrared light but most lenses should focus fine.

Any questions please ask

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Mike. If you don't mind doing a lot of PP, then IR photography might work for you. I have my D80 converted to IR but I have not used it in 2 years since I don't like doing a lot of PP.

mikew_RIP

Hi Mike. If you don't mind doing a lot of PP, then IR photography might work for you. I have my D80 converted to IR but I have not used it in 2 years since I don't like doing a lot of PP.

Yes i appreciate the amount of PP thats why i thought £145 wasn't bad for an occasional bit of fun,i was unsure of the filter he has used and he has replied to say he made the focus adjustment for the 18-55 lens on the camera,i didn't think it had fine tune for the focus so what can he have done.

Unless he is relying on a combination of depth of field and depth of focus to cover for that lens

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

690nm is actually a rather odd wavelength for a conversion. Most I've seen are 720nm (like mine), 665nm or 590nm. Are you sure it's not the latter?

Here's a link to a page at Kolarivision, the folks who did mine, showing you the difference in wavelengths....

Products | Kolari Vision Infrared Conversion Service and IR Photography Cameras

590nm retains the highest level of color saturation which will give you the most options in terms of where you go color-wise on conversion, and with B&W it gives you the most filter options. Because of what he states in the text of the ad I suspect that this is the wavelength of the conversion.

As for PP, yep, you're going to want and need to do it. With the D70, and with a lot of Nikons, the camera may not be able to achieve a true IR White Balance in-camera, but don't fear, there are workarounds for the RAW files if you're willing to spend some time with them. Here's a 3 video thing I did on IR workflows and how to get a proper WB. Remember, the in-camera WB you're doing is for your JPEG preview and not for the RAW file and you may not get it with the sliders in ACR as-is. Not a problem, just something you need to learn to work with.

If you want to shoot IR, or just do something different, it's not a bad price to get into it. I shoot infrequently, usually in bursts. It can be a lot of fun. Funny thing is, I've sold as much IR work as I have traditional photography.

mikew_RIP

Thanks Jake.i will contact him today and ask which filter,any idea how he could do anything with the focus on something as basic as the D70.

BackdoorArts

Well, looking at the photo it appears as if the image is somewhere around 690nm based on the examples on the KolariVision site. An odd choice for sure, but only in that it's atypical - nothing wrong with that wavelength.

If he's a certified tech then he can obviously adjust focus calibration using whatever methods Nikon would if you had an issue with a D70 focusing sharply - I have no idea how that would be done other than accessing the firmware directly. And the fact that he knew to do it is a plus in my book because IR will focus slightly differently.

John P

Well, looking at the photo it appears as if the image is somewhere around 690nm based on the examples on the KolariVision site. An odd choice for sure, but only in that it's atypical - nothing wrong with that wavelength.

If he's a certified tech then he can obviously adjust focus calibration using whatever methods Nikon would if you had an issue with a D70 focusing sharply - I have no idea how that would be done other than accessing the firmware directly. And the fact that he knew to do it is a plus in my book because IR will focus slightly differently.

I know that some companies include shims to adjust focus with DIY kits. You must have to shim the filter.