My D5200 won't AF beep

syoo8

Hi everyone... new to the forum.

My D5200 (about 15 months old) ceased to beep when autofocusing. I've tried the Low and High tone settings on the settings menu to no avail...

It happened after the latest firmware update.

Any suggestions?

Blacktop

Hi everyone... new to the forum.

My D5200 (about 15 months old) ceased to beep when autofocusing. I've tried the Low and High tone settings on the settings menu to no avail...

It happened after the latest firmware update.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps you accidentally set it on AF_C?

Blacktop

That happens to me on the D300 sometimes. the AF selector switch is easily moved by my left hand fingers if I'm not careful.

syoo8

Thank you very much for your suggestion in any case!

I have a sinking feeling that something happened when the firmware was updated... The AF beeped before the update, and immediately ceased after.

nickt

Is the music note shown with or without a 'not' bar through it on the info display?
Are you possibly in quiet shutter mode? that turns the beep off.

nickt

bummer, it sounds broke. You probably tried, but maybe turning the beep OFF, then back on might help. Or maybe a reset of the menus and a 2 button reset.

Rick M

In custom settings under auto focus set both AF-C and AF-S priority selection to "focus" instead of "release". It will beep upon acquiring focus (if the Beep is also turned on under the custom settings "shooting/display" menu section).

Last edited:

syoo8

In custom settings under auto focus set both AF-C and AF-S priority selection to "focus" instead of "release".

Thanks for your advice Rick. AF-C and AF-S was set to "focus" already. No beep.

Not a big deal, I thought I would ask. Thanks to everyone for their replies!