How to lock exposure without holding the button down

mystic7

Hi everybody. New member here. Used to have a D70. Just getting back into shooting HD video now and just got a D3300. I have a question about locking the exposure. Today while shooting video of myself playing guitar, on playback I noticed as I moved I was affecting the exposure, and the settings were adjusting themselves. Everything I've read about exposure lock has to do with setting exposure and holding down the AE/AF button, but, since I only have myself to shoot video with, I can't always be at the camera. Is there a way to lock the exposure and keep it locked while I shoot video without holding down the AE button?

WayneF

Just use camera manual M mode. Probably 1/30 second, and adjust aperture and ISO for the exposure you want, before you start recording. You can see the settings the automatic mode is using as a good starting point.

Last edited:

mystic7

Sorry, I'm so stupid. I forgot to mention that everything is in manual mode. I also have manual mode in the video section set to ON. The ONLY thing I had set to AUTO when I shot the footage was white balance since I had forgotten how to set PRE to measure. Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't the exposure but the WB that may have been flickering from my shadow on the wall behind me affecting it. I'll so a test later today and report back. Thanks for responding so quickly.

EDIT: OK, I checked the video again and I can't figure out what the deal is with all the weird stuff going on in the background (a white wall about a foot behind me). At some points it appears that I also am getting brighter and darker, but there's some crazy stuff happening as well. I will include a link to the video. Please refrain from commenting on my playing. I also just replaced a guitar I had to sell almost a year ago and I'm still getting back my callouses, chops, and a decent sound from the amp. Anyway, take a look if you're so inclined and see if you can figure out what's going on. It doesn't take long for the weird stuff to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZsIRnqyGw

Last edited:

wornish

Are you shooting this in daylight and there is a window in the room behind the camera maybe ? The light through the window could be changing.

Or

If not are you shooting under fluorescent lights ? they can do weird things to videos.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Sorry, I'm so stupid. I forgot to mention that everything is in manual mode. I also have manual mode in the video section set to ON. The ONLY thing I had set to AUTO when I shot the footage was white balance since I had forgotten how to set PRE to measure. Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't the exposure but the WB that may have been flickering from my shadow on the wall behind me affecting it. I'll so a test later today and report back. Thanks for responding so quickly.

EDIT: OK, I checked the video again and I can't figure out what the deal is with all the weird stuff going on in the background (a white wall about a foot behind me). At some points it appears that I also am getting brighter and darker, but there's some crazy stuff happening as well. I will include a link to the video. Please refrain from commenting on my playing. I also just replaced a guitar I had to sell almost a year ago and I'm still getting back my callouses, chops, and a decent sound from the amp. Anyway, take a look if you're so inclined and see if you can figure out what's going on. It doesn't take long for the weird stuff to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZsIRnqyGw

Maybe check to make sure that "auto iso" is turned OFF.

shukla

hi ! often the nikon bodies have the AE/AF lock button that has a adjustable usage .....[it can be used to toggle between lock and unlock which means it need be pressed and held]...possibly in the set up menu ...

mystic7

Yikes, ok, one by one:
1. No, definitely not auto focus. Everything is set to manual, except as I said previously, white balance, which I will set to PRE now that I know how to "measure".
2. Yeah, I thought I had the AE/AF button set properly but I had it set to (Hold) as in hold the button down. I've since corrected that.
3. Auto ISO is definitely OFF. It's set to default to 100.
4. "Are you shooting this in daylight and there is a window in the room behind the camera maybe ? The light through the window could be changing."
Yes, there is a door made up mostly of windows behind the camera. It was cloudy when I shot this but the clouds thinned and thickened, so this COULD be the culprit. As for florescent lights I learned my lesson when I got a new prime lens and tried it out while sitting directly beneath the florescent lights in my kitchen. I didn't know about the relationship between florescents and shutter speed. Needless to say I try to stay away from florescent lighting.

Anyway, as I said, I'll report back the result of today's test shoot later on. And thanks for not mentioning my guitar playing!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
After watching the video, I think it's the white balance that is creating the weird stuff you are talking about. Seems that when you move the color balance changes so the wall changes colors. I don't remember from your previous posts if you had the WB set to manual.

mystic7

After watching the video, I think it's the white balance that is creating the weird stuff you are talking about. Seems that when you move the color balance changes so the wall changes colors. I don't remember from your previous posts if you had the WB set to manual.

Bingo! That was my original thought. I in fact mentioned in my second post that the only thing not set to manual was white balance, because I temporarily had forgotten how to "measure" white balance in the PRE setting, so I set it to auto. I have set it to PRE and will take a measurement, and also press the AE Lock button after getting the proper exposure, and shoot another short clip today in the same spot. Only difference is it's sunny today, but that shouldn't matter as far as the problem I was having. Thanks for confirming my original suspicion.

wornish

I think this a secrete plan to get more hits on your You Tube video to promote your guitar playing, which is actually very good by the way.

The weird stuff on the wall certainly does change as you move about I think the white balance suggestion is probably the right one you have to let us all know the answer now.

mystic7

You've caught me. Between spamming this message board and putting the video up as "unlisted" I'll be discovered at any moment ;-)

I used to be better. I had to sell my D70, and then my guitar and amp to pay bills when my wife got sick. I only just replaced them two weeks ago. Anyway, yes, as promised I will report back the results of today's shoot. I'm just waiting for the sun to hit that side of the house. It's still too dark to shoot right now and I want to duplicate the conditions I shot under yesterday.

mystic7

OK, success! No flickering or other weirdness. So it had to be either the auto wb or not locking the exposure, even though I have exposure on manual. Not gonna put up a link to the video because I'm really sucking right now, and also to prove I'm not just looking for cheap hits ;-)