Incorrect Exposure Compensation when using SB-800 Speedlight?

AMcWeeny

Shot an indoor wedding this past weekend with my D7000, an SB-800 and Sigma 18-55 F2.8. Exposure Comp on the camera body was zero and TTL mode, and the flash was set to TTL with -1/3 EV. Despite the relatively good ambient light pictures were dark and I had to use ISO 3200 and F2.8 to get exposure somewhat right.

Just checked the exif info with ViewNX2. For the flash it gives a Total Exposure Comp of - 1.7, with the camera at -1.3EV and the flash at -.3EV. It's reading the flash EV correctly but where does the camera's -1.3EV come from? I've found that I have to set the flash to +1 1/3 EV to get the exif to read zero EV for Total Exposure Comp.

Any ideas?

WayneF

The total compensation for the TTL flash power level is the sum of these things:

Flash Compensation on camera body
Flash Compensation on flash
Exposure Compensation on camera body
If using Commander, also the group compensation in Commander menu (instead of on flash).

If you see the +/- symbol in top LCD, one of those values is not zero. If all are zero, it disappears.

You did not mention Flash Compensation, the little button below the button to open internal flash door. Its value then shows in top LCD. Again, they all add.

A few of the newest bodies have a new menu about if Exposure Compensation should include the flash, or be only ambient, but I think the D7000 is old enough to not have that. So, EC affects both Flash and ambient, FC affects only flash. Pros and cons either way.

>>camera body was zero and TTL mode, and the flash was set to TTL

The TTL in camera menu is ONLY about the internal flash. If internal flash door is shut, then that camera menu is not in play, and is "don't care" . The external flash has its own menu (with exception of SB-300/SB-400, which does not have its own menu, which does use that camera menu).

Last edited:

AMcWeeny

Thanks Wayne! I found if you hold down the flash pop-up button it doubles to set flash comp. It was set to minus 1.3. Dialed it back to zero and everything is OK now.

WayneF

Great. The trick is to learn to watch that +/- icon. :)

Sorry, the button was my error. Some models has an extra button, and some use the door button for compensation too. I should have checked the model first.