Is the f3.5 VR 18-200 too heavy with the D3100?

effytwo

Hi,
I just bought a D3100 with the 18-55, and was thinking of picking up a used 18-200 to go with it, anyone shooting this combo? My concern is with the size and weight of the lens with such a small lightweight body... Would it defeat the purpose of going small and light in the first place?
I like the 18-55, but find that it lacks reach as a general all purpose do everything walk around, and I don't want to carry a second lens like the 55-200.

Thanks for any input,

Paul

fotojack

Yup, it'll work just fine, as long as it's an AF-S VR lens. If it's the AF model, you'll have to focus manually, as your camera doesn't have the built in focus motor. The AF-S lens has the focus motor built into it in order to utilize the auto focus capabilities of the lens. VR, of course, is for Vibration Reduction, a necessity when focusing in a hand held position.

PavementPilot

Anytime you got the long zooms, you will be adding weight. It is a trade off of reach vs weight vs handling. I shoot with a 55-300mm and have no issues using it. You have to be prepared for the difference, but if you want the reach, then you will learn to handle it differently.

effytwo

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I was thinking the AF-S DX 18-200 3.5~5.6 G ED VR, you can pick them up used clean for about $500 in the pre zoom lock version..
I went with the D3100 rather than the D90 because of size/weight, and of course it cost about half the price of the D90:cool:...
Now I'm thinking, (always dangerous :rolleyes:) if I add the bigger zoom, will it still be a nice relatively small light camera to drag around with me, or will it become relegated to "photo outings" because of the extra tonnage? Humm...

Paul

Ruidoso Bill

Hi Paul, I have a 18-200 vr lens and it is always on either my D200 or D300, I never leave home without it. Although there is always a trade off in sharpness going from primes to zooms I still find the 18-200 one of the most versatile and useful lens I own. I will put up with the weight for the the versatility.

Ranie

Yup, it'll work just fine, as long as it's an AF-S VR lens. If it's the AF model, you'll have to focus manually, as your camera doesn't have the built in focus motor. The AF-S lens has the focus motor built into it in order to utilize the auto focus capabilities of the lens. VR, of course, is for Vibration Reduction, a necessity when focusing in a hand held position.

Jack, all 18-200 variants are AF-S. There is no AF version of this lens.