I need help with my final decision

joaco2208

Hello! I'm almost sure of what my new equipment will be. I'm going to buy the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 non-vc, but I need help o decide which of this cameras is better.

My primary lens will be the 70-200mm, or maybe, my best lens or the one that I'll use as a semi-pro, while the other lenses are just to go around taking some pictures, although I'd like to get great pictures always!

I can get a Nikon D3200 and buy a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non-vc and spend around 750 dollars apart from the 70-200mm

or

Get a refurbished D7000 with an 18-55mm and maybe a 50mm 1.8 for around 800 dollars or 850

which of these options is better?

I like the lower price and the high MP in the D3200, but prefer the Focusing motor, higher amount of focusing points, and durability of the d7000.

Thanks!

RON_RIP

Get the D7000 but be prepared to face a learning curve. But in the long run, you will be pleased with the results. But why not get the 35mm l.8 g instead?

Blacktop

My primary lens will be the 70-200mm, or maybe, my best lens or the one that I'll use as a semi-pro

Awesome!:cool:

Seriously, I would go with the second option.

If I knew back then when I first started what I know now, I would start with a refurb D7100 and an 18-140mm VR lense. Then as time went on I would add an UWA lens like the Tokina 11-16, then If I needed a super zoom I would add the Tamron 150-600mm.

Good luck with the semi pro thing.

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Do not get the non VC version.. You will be very disappointed .. Get the newer Tamron with VC or the Nikon 70mm -200mm 2.8 version 1

aroy

Avoid older technology body as far as possible. You will get a much better sensor, more resolution and faster processor. If you go for lower spec body, then get a new D3300 with the 18-55 kit lense, otherwise get a refurbished D7100.

Elliot87

I recently bought a D3200 and although I'm in no way disappointed with the camera itself, I wish I'd waited a little and gone for a new or refurbished D7100. If I'd have had the patience I would have a better body and would end up in two years with a set up that I would be more than happy with, rather than feeling the need to upgrade.

You are also limited to the newer more expensive AF-S lenses with the D3*** and D5*** series, so if you're on a budget it makes getting new lenses much harder. Some of the older glass is much cheaper but still excellent quality. I know that in the medium to long run buying the cheaper body will cost me money and be a false economy.

I find comfort though that by the time I am ready to upgrade to new body the D7100 will most likely have been superseeded by something better.

aroy

I will go a step forward and wait till I get a better version of DF. Then I will be able to utilize and meter AIS lenses fully.

That said, D3xxx series give us a no frills body at a rock bottom price. I have two lenses which need motor, as they have a CPU, at least they meter. Manual focusing is some thing to get used to (I have an advantage of coming from MF film camera days) and the "range finder" helps to fix focus spot on. I use MF lenses with my D3300. It is a bit slower, but doable. On my body the AIS lenses do not meter, so I have to calculate the exposure also, but that does not prevent me from using them.

Elliot87

I will go a step forward and wait till I get a better version of DF. Then I will be able to utilize and meter AIS lenses fully.

That said, D3xxx series give us a no frills body at a rock bottom price. I have two lenses which need motor, as they have a CPU, at least they meter. Manual focusing is some thing to get used to (I have an advantage of coming from MF film camera days) and the "range finder" helps to fix focus spot on. I use MF lenses with my D3300. It is a bit slower, but doable. On my body the AIS lenses do not meter, so I have to calculate the exposure also, but that does not prevent me from using them.

I have used an AIS lens on a D3100 and it was actually good fun and very rewarding when the results were good. I may well get a 50mm 1.8D as my first manual focusing lens. It will probably end up spending most of its time on my wifes F80 though. As a complete novice, manual focusing and metering would be a lot to think about but as the basics become more like second nature I might give it a go. Quite like the idea of getting the older 80-400mm or something similar.