LCD Display Problem

couldbeworse

Hey guys,

I'm new to the dslr so I'll apologize now if this has been asked before... or for wasting time for such a simple solution. I'm not sure if it was something I did. When I first started shooting with it, the picture in the LCD would be the same as the picture taken after changing apertures. Recently, when I increase or decrease the aperture the image doesn't change in the LCD, so I have no idea how bright or dark the photo will be until I shoot it. It's been kinda irritating having to constantly delete photos because it was too dark or too bright. Also, before I was able to take photos at f/1.4 in broad daylight and they'd come out great, but now it's just too bright. Solid white. I've reset the camera, but it hasn't changed. Any help would be great.

couldbeworse

I'm shooting in M. I'm using the same settings that I was using before also. Nikon f/1.4g lens if that has anything to do with it. Also, the display does not change with different ISO settings either.

Horoscope Fish

Okay, so you're shooting in full Manual setting your own aperture and shutter speed. You take the shot and then review it on the LCD to check exposure, correct? Except something is wrong with what you're seeing on the LCD? From your description it sounds like your exposure is simply not correct. Are you familiar with how set correct exposure when shooting in Manual?

couldbeworse

Okay, so you're shooting in full Manual setting your own aperture and shutter speed. You take the shot and then review it on the LCD to check exposure, correct? Except something is wrong with what you're seeing on the LCD?

As far as setting correct exposure, I'm not that familiar with it. I'm a complete novice, but I'm just not sure what I was doing before when I didn't have this problem. I would review the image in the LCD before I took it. It would look fine. I would take the picture then it would be under or overexposed, but looked fine in the LCD before taking it.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Recently, when I increase or decrease the aperture the image doesn't change in the LCD, so I have no idea how bright or dark the photo will be until I shoot it

Ok I missed this part. Please disregard my last post. I take it you are shooting in Live view? (not through the viewfinder?)
The exposure you see on the LCD before you take the shot is not going to be the same as the one after taking the shot.

couldbeworse

Ok I missed this part. Please disregard my last post. I take it you are shooting in Live view? (not through the viewfinder?)
The exposure you see on the LCD before you take the shot is not going to be the same as the one after taking the shot.

Yeah, live view. It's strange because I didn't have this problem before. The brightness and exposure would change when I changed aperture etc. It just kinda stopped cooperating. Thanks for the links, fellas. Looks like I'll be doing some extra reading tonight.

Blacktop

Yeah, live view. It's strange because I didn't have this problem before. The brightness and exposure would change when I changed aperture etc. It just kinda stopped cooperating. Thanks for the links, fellas. Looks like I'll be doing some extra reading tonight.

There is really no need to shoot full manual anyway right now. If you shoot Aperture priority then the camera will set the shutter speed for you. You just set the ISO and the Aperture. However even in this mode you need to read up on the exposure triangle.