Tripod Vs. Monopod for car photography

search231GT

Hello,

I didn't really find anything on Tripods vs. monopods for car photography so I thought I'd just ask.

What do you guys use for car photography?

There have been times where the moment would be great but I wouldn't be able to get the camera properly stable in time, resulting in blurred pictures. So I've been thinking about either a tripod or mono pod. Unfortunately I am an extremely indecisive person. I understand that the both have their pros and cons. I'd like to hear what you guys prefer to use, in order to get a better idea of what I really need.

Thank you

nikonpup

most shots i do at a car show are just for my enjoyment and are shot hand held. imo either one could be a problem at a show.

It sounds like you are shooting at too slow a shutter speed. Give us examples of what you are doing. Like camera, lens, shutter speed, ISO etc. The more info you give us the more we can help.

Vincent

You need everything buy everything or you can not get a decent picture. Gear Acquisition Syndrome alert.

To start, I prefer to take pictures of cars hand held, if you can get the shutter speed at a reasonable ISO that is the thing to do for me.
Now this does not always work and that is where the tripod and monopod come in.

After hand held the monopod seems my next choice (although practically rarely used for cars), it allows you to move more but then you still need a certain shutter speed since it is not 100% still. It is more to carry heavy lenses or when you expect later to stay a bit in the twilight.

The Tripod is clearly the only solution for long exposures or long telephoto lenses (over 300mm), it happens more often then I expect that I´m in the pit stand at impossible times and have no possibility to carry correct light solutions (I´m not that kind of shooter anyway). The other thing is to have original angles in corners at tracks you might use long telephoto lenses where you need a tripod to get some reasonable results.
Finally studio or location work almost always is an orchestrated set-up where you want to be stable and thus use a tripod.

So it depends on your style, the events you want to cover and the lenses you want to use; not what others do.

FastGlass

Get a tripod. If you don't need that much support just use one leg and use it like a monopod. If you find that using it like a monopod is what you do mostly invest in one. Choose a tripod that is light enough to carry around though.

Horoscope Fish

I use a monopod whenever possible. They're faster to deploy, easier to carry, a lot lighter, don't have the huge "foot print" of a tripod and yet still offer a huge amount of stability over free-hand shooting. If I have the luxury of all the setup time I need, or anticipate needing a really long exposure, I'll pack a tripod for sure - no doubt about that - but other than those times, it's a monopod for me.

singlerosa_RIP

I use a monopod on occasion when shooting with my 70-200, more to have it hold my camera (it gets heavy) than to have it stabilize the pic. I'd use a tripod if I was shooting a car in the studio. Otherwise, my shutter speed is high enough that I don't need help.

There are a few tripod/monopod combos out there if you can't make up your mind......

tripod monopod : Buy or Learn at Adorama

search231GT

Hi everyone.

I apologize I should have provided some more info and an example as Gorf suggested.

The cars are usually static, I use my 18-55mm lense the most often at shows and meets.

But then something like this happens.

DSC_0040.jpg

You'll notice there's a bit of blur. Which is a real shame because the pic had potential. The car was leaving the show and my positioning was advantageous but I had little time to act. My camera was also set to aperture priority since it was a car meet and they're static. Though it wasn't really moving fast it wasn't waiting for me either and as you can see there is a swarm of people so naturally I acted quickly without adjusting the settings and hoped for the best. I most likely zoomed in closer and the image probably suffered from the natural vibrations of my hand. Hence my problem. I need something to keep the camera stable. After reading some of the comments I'm leaning toward a mono pod. But of course I would love to hear more advice and suggestions. Thank you!

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

How do you have the AF system set for your pics? Granted I'm just viewing from my iPad, but the lower right side of the car looks sharper than the left side. Could the AF have locked on to something there since it was closest, so the problem is more DOF vs focus? Just a thought...

I'd opt for the monopod as well, for as quick as this shot developed, I don't think you would have had the time to get a tripod to and set and the shot snapped. The monopod would allow you to react quicker, although unless you had it set and ready there would still be some delay there too.

1/25 a second is really to slow to shoot this. Any movement from anyone is going to blur. Go to ISO 400 and shoot faster and that will solve your problem and you can shoot hand held.

Fortkentdad

One of the features of my "Transfunctional" Benro Angel is that is trans-funcs to a monopod. Not rocket science. One of the legs unscrews and you can mount the head onto that one leg. Lets you try it either way. If I'm out of a walk the monopod is like a walking stick. Easier to use in crowds too. I've never used it at car shows - I enjoy shooting cars at car shows too - going to one tomorrow. I'll try out the monopod idea there. I think it would aid in getting super crisp shots for HDR purposes. but unlike tripod won't hold that exact frame quite the same - but better than hand held.

I'm shooting with older lenses for the most part without VR. To compensate I tend to crank the ISO a bit but on my D610 shooting at 1000 or even a bit higher does not seem to make a noticeable difference in IQ. That will improve shutter speed for that same aperture.

Here is a link to a car show I posted on my Flickr photostream a wee bit ago.

I was using a Tamron 20-40 on a D610. And it was as you say, just shooting for my own enjoyment - and to share on line with any who care to view.

https://flic.kr/p/omVRQT

Last edited:

crashton

Motion blur. A tripod or monopod is not going to help. You have to shoot at a faster shutter speed & if need be bump up the ISO to get you there.

I use a monopod when I'm shooting a long lens. As has been said it takes the weight off you.

search231GT

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm going to go with a mono pod. I'll also try working with the ISO next time I go out to shoot. Learn something new everyday!

Horoscope Fish

I think if you find yourself in this sort of situation often you should consider adjusting the camera settings. If shooing in Aperture Priority, enable Auto ISO as well, with a base ISO of 100 and maxing out at say, 1600. Then set the minimum shutter speed to something like 1/125. Assuming it's a nice sunny day these settings would keep the ISO low (doubtful it will hit, much less go past, ISO 400) and the shutter speed at something reasonably fast.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi everyone.

I apologize I should have provided some more info and an example as Gorf suggested.

The cars are usually static, I use my 18-55mm lense the most often at shows and meets.

But then something like this happens.

View attachment 107669

You'll notice there's a bit of blur. Which is a real shame because the pic had potential. The car was leaving the show and my positioning was advantageous but I had little time to act. My camera was also set to aperture priority since it was a car meet and they're static. Though it wasn't really moving fast it wasn't waiting for me either and as you can see there is a swarm of people so naturally I acted quickly without adjusting the settings and hoped for the best. I most likely zoomed in closer and the image probably suffered from the natural vibrations of my hand. Hence my problem. I need something to keep the camera stable. After reading some of the comments I'm leaning toward a mono pod. But of course I would love to hear more advice and suggestions. Thank you!

Another thing you have to watch for is your VR settings. If shooting faster than 1/125, you should turn VR "OFF". And when using slower speeds, you have to make sure that VR has had time to set BEFORE taking the shot. This is better explained in the user manual, something about vr could cause blur if shot taken before it has had time to completely stabilize the motion of the camera.

Fortkentdad

Took my trans-func'd mono-pod from my Benro Angel and tried it out at the car show. Certainly more usable than a tripod as you walk through the crowds. Be careful shooting portrait - loosen the ball and rest the camera - don't just turn it or you might poke the eye out of some kid walking by as the leg goes horizontal.

I think I'd do it again.

Not sure that it makes a big big difference.

One trick you can do is set the camera for 5 second delay and hoist it up high for a low level 'aerial" shot. (No I didn't try this but thought of it afterwards.)

And it makes a good walking stick.

Wish it was about a foot taller - I either have to bend down a bit or use live-view. Not a big deal. A real mono-pod may be a little longer, never had one.

Played around with lots of HDR in this shoot. Thought the monopod would help with getting the shots all exactly the same. Hmmm, or not. But HDR is still fun.

https://flic.kr/p/oKreUW

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fkd54/14931382826/

53 chev_DSC6862_3_6_4_Localtone by fortkentdad, on Flickr

Last edited: