cold looking photos with a ND #4 filter and white balance set for sun

goz63

Not sure specifically about this question but noticed you set white balance to "sun". You can play around with the white balance afterwards if you shoot in RAW for your pictures. Most if not all of the photo editing software will allow you to change the white balance after the shot (if shooting in RAW) and you may get what you are looking for. Bryan Petterson always shoots in "cloudy" because he likes the warmth that setting gives. I tried that and it does change it up. You could try that. In any case use RAW and then you can make it anything you want after you have the shot.

Joseph Bautsch

What brand ND filter are you using? Not all are of the same quality. I would not use anything but the top brands like Hoya, Tiffin, Singh-Ray and others. You will pay more but the "gray" white balance of the filter will be near perfect in the top brands. Even then you may have to make adjustments in the WB to get the color you want. There have even been complaints about the Cokin ND filters producing an off color white balance. Experiment with the WB settings on the camera to see which one gives you the color you want with the ND filter you are using.

markD90

As Joseph said really! I've heard the Lee filters, especially the big stopper makes things bluer!

Use the Kelvin range. I find it easier to change and move about.....you get more to play around with and are in more control in what's happening!

Last edited by a moderator: