Does d5300 support high speed sync by using yongnuo 568ex external speedlite

Sean Benn

I am all set to buy a Nikon d5300. Earlier I was planning to buy the d3300 or d5200 due to my budget restrictions and I also did ask in the d3300 forums about that.And from the posts of some wonderful members I realized that I should drop my other two options and also with some research decided to go with the d5300. So had to extend my budget more for that.
Now since I know some of the pros and cons of this camera I have a doubt regarding the flash sync.I know this camera natively doesn't support high speed sync (HSS) but with the use of an external speedlite like the yongnuo 568ex will the HSS work on the d5300?
It might be good if the external flash with the camera enabled HSS since it would be useful for freezing action.

Horoscope Fish

In short, no... For the reason you already stated, the D5300 does not support HSS. The 568EX does (great flash, by the way!) but that's not enough; both camera and strobe need to be able to communicate on the HSS channel, if you will, and the D5300 can't get that station.

WayneF

Generally the camera models that have Commander (currently beginning with the D7100) will also have HSS and FV Lock. Only exceptions I know are like the D4 that don't have any internal flash. Adding a commander on hot shoe (SU-800, SB-700, etc) does add wireless remote flash, but does not add HSS or FV Lock to the camera.

>>It might be good if the external flash with the camera enabled HSS since it would be useful for freezing action.

Not the same (two) subject(s), but none of the cameras support HSS in the internal flash. Those cameras with Commander and HSS can use the internal flash for the commander, to control remote flashes, and those remote flashes can use HSS (if equipped themselves), but to do this, the internal flash has to be disabled from contributing light into the scene itself. It can still be commander and flash commands, but if HSS, then it has to stop.

So you need both a camera and an external flash that each is equipped to do HSS. They work together.

And as to stopping motion, the camera flash (excluding studio flash) is generally much faster (shorter duration, called speedlights) than the shutter speed. The shutter just has to be open when the very fast flash burst occurs. If the room is not brightly lighted (dim), only the flash is seen, and it is very brief. So a leading way (the feasible way) that high speed photography is done is with speedlights (not with shutters). The speedlight is much faster at lower flash powers ,and the internal flash is already quite low power, so a bigger external speedlight is much more desirable.

The kid running in the bright sunlight is a different story, but activity such as stopping milk drop spashes or hummingbird wings use speedlights, not shutter speed.

Here is a sample: Capability of flash units for high speed photography

And maybe another: Shako Solenoid Valve for Water Drop Collision Photography

Last edited: