How do you effectively use Group-Area AF

Foo Fighters

Hey guys, I'm trying to get the best from AF system of the D810, and I'm having difficulty understanding the use and application of Group Area AF.

Is it for moving subjects with predictable movements toward and away from the lens? When acquiring focus of a moving subject, am I supposed to try to keep the moving subject within the center of the Group AF crosshair, while attempting to move the crosshair with the thumb dial to the predicted path for which they are moving? Or am I supposed to sort of pan the camera hand held, and try to maintain the subject in crosshair that way. Or am I supposed to be stationary, waiting for the subject to move into the crosshair? I'm probably way off base either way.

I'd like to use my 3 year old son running around a table as an example. I'm standing approximately 15 ft way, and would like to get his face in focus in all the shots as moves around the table.

If I'm trying to get his face in focus, am I using the center box of the crosshair on his face, while the surrounding points attempt to acquire focus if my user point fails?

Also, when using Group Area AF in AF-C mode, do you keep it in Release + Focus for best results?

I'm sorry for all the stupid questions, but I can't find a thorough explanation anywhere - mostly testimonials on how great it is.

donaldjledet

Don't have a D810 so can't help there, but somebody will be along shortly to help.
There are no stupid Questions.
If you don't ask how will you learn.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Thanks, I just checked, and unfortunately I'm not able to find a Digitutor for the D4s or the D810. But they have them for all the other models.

For moving subjects, You would normally use AF-C, then experiment single point AF or 3D to see which gives you higher keeper. That should also tire those hyper active raskals. Better yet have em stay still.

Foo Fighters

A good article on the different AF modes here

DSLR Autofocus Modes Explained

Thanks, I appreciate the article, it does a terrific job of explaining how & when to use appropriate AF modes, but it doesn't cover Group-Area AF - since the article is a few years old. Group-Area AF is a newer focus mode that came out with the D4S and the D810. By the way, Nasim is great, I've been following his site for a few years.

Lee532

A quote from this article by Doug Klostermann

Picturing Change · Taking Advantage of the Nikon D810/ D610 / D7100 / D5300 Autofocus System

Gives another good write up on the full Nikon auto focus systems and also a bit at the end about Group Area Af

Group Area AF

The Nikon D810 and D4s include the Group Area AF autofocus area mode, which makes use of a group of 5 AF Points arranged in a cross-shaped pattern. And instead of selecting a primary point with the surrounding points being “helper points,” you will actually be selecting the group of five points, which will all be used to attempt to focus on the subject. Unlike the other AF Area Modes with multiple points, the Viewfinder will actually display the four outer points of the group, but for some reason not the central point – perhaps so that you can better view the subject.
Keep in mind that with the other somewhat similar Dynamic Area AF modes, you choose a primary point and attempt to keep the subject located at that point, and the surrounding points act as “helper” points if the subject happens to move away from the primary point. But with Group Area AF you select the entire group of AF Points, and they all work equally to focus on the subject. This mode can be used similar to Single Point AF but when it might be challenging to locate the subject under an individual point. When working in AF-S Focus Mode and using Group Area AF, the selected AF points will give priority to faces if they are present, otherwise they will focus on the closest subject.