Nikon customer service. Good or bad?

Hassiman

Hi... I am about to pull the trigger on a D810.
My only reservation is the reputation Nikon warranty service seems to have acquired.
Back in the film days Nikon service was fast and good. Pretty much no questions asked. Now... If one believes the buzz Nikon's service is anything but. I was a a dealer today that sells both Canon & Nikon and he told me that Nikon Repair sucked. ( his exact words ) and this is not the first time I have heard it.
I was just wondering how Nikonites members feel about their repair experiences.
Is this a valid reason to not purchase? Just blown out of proportion?
Thanks!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi... I am about to pull the trigger on a D810.
My only reservation is the reputation Nikon warranty service seems to have acquired.
Back in the film days Nikon service was fast and good. Pretty much no questions asked. Now... If one believes the buzz Nikon's service is anything but. I was a a dealer today that sells both Canon & Nikon and he told me that Nikon Repair sucked. ( his exact words ) and this is not the first time I have heard it.
I was just wondering how Nikonites members feel about their repair experiences.
Is this a valid reason to not purchase? Just blown out of proportion?
Thanks!

There is truth to the dealer's statement especially with the D600 fiasco. Other than that, my experience with Nikon with regards to warranty claim from my speedlight, cameras and lenses have been very good. I would rate it 7 of 10 for their service. I would still use them as my preferred repair service center.

Sandpatch

When my shutter failed, I chose Nikon to repair it. My only complaint was with the woman who fielded my phone call. As with so many customer "service" centers these days, she asked me dozens of bone-headed questions. I finally grew weary of the Photography 101 drill and helped her to understand that I was not a beginner and knew absolutely what the problem was. She then reluctantly shifted gears and told me what I needed.

The repair took about three weeks and was sound <knocking on wood>.