Nikon 24-120mm G & D810. Good combination?

Hassiman

There are 4 lenses I am considering for use with the D810. Lease comment if you have used with a D800 or D810 and tell me how good a fit you think it will be. Of course I would like sharp saturated images ( only shoot RAW ) an I do street shooting, landscape, travel, architecture and texture.

1. 24-120 F4 IS

2. 24-70mm 2.8

3. 18-35mm F4

4. 100 Macro

I do fine art prints printed large.

Thanks for your time

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For general type photography, the 24-120mm f4 would be my choice. At f5.6, it matches the sharpness of the 24-70mm f2.8 corner to corner.

WayneF

There are 4 lenses I am considering for use with the D810. Lease comment if you have used with a D800 or D810 and tell me how good a fit you think it will be. Of course I would like sharp saturated images ( only shoot RAW ) an I do street shooting, landscape, travel, architecture and texture.

1. 24-120 F4 IS

2. 24-70mm 2.8

3. 18-35mm F4

4. 100 Macro

I do fine art prints printed large.

Thanks for your time

I have a D800, and the 24-120 F/4 VR remains my choice for walk-around-all-day-with-one-lens use, like vacations. It's very good.

I also have the 24-70 f/2.8 and prefer it as first choice whenever possible. I think sharpness and distortion is a little better, but it's heavy, and can be a bit short sometimes.

I don't have the 18-35

I have the 105mm VR macro lens, and its great too. It possibly might be a bit long (telephoto) for art prints? 105mm has to stand back ten feet for a 3.5 foot wide view. The 60mm could do that at six feet.

Last edited:

Hassiman

Do any of these lenses have any weather sealing... Like a rubber gasket at the back of the lens? I know most of the Canon L glass have some rude notary sealing.
Wayne... Why do yo like the 24-70 more?

BackdoorArts

I'll simply add my "ditto" to the comments about the 24-120mm and my D800. The 16-35mm f/4 is also a great lens with it, and it allows for the use of external filters, which the 14-24mm f/2.8 doesn't.

WayneF

Wayne... Why do yo like the 24-70 more?

More expense, but I think the 24-70 it is a better lens, sharper, and less distortion. And for bounce flash use, the f/2.8 lens is sharper at f/4 than a f/4 lens.

It just does not get any better than the 24-70. But perhaps a marginal difference, the 24-120 is already better than many choices. 24-120 is a very good lens, and it has wider zoom range, and is a bit smaller and lighter to carry all day.

Architecture will surely need a wide lens (indoors), but distortion becomes an issue then.

Last edited:

Mestre

Altough i shoot with a D600, i use 3 of the 4 lenses you chose.

The 24-70 is my walkaround, but in this case I chose the Tamron because of the VR. aí did consider the 24-120 but heavy distortion and less sharper pics made me go for the Tamron.

105mm micro - I use it for macro and portrait, it's a great lens, very sharp with perfect images.

16-35 - my landscape and street photography lens, VR is great of indoors and is strongly built. As mentioned, it can use filters and my lee set was built around this lens.

Besides these I have a 70-200 f4 for portrait and animal watching, and a 50 f1.4 for portrait and some street also.

Hassiman

Well I went with the 24-120mm F4 and have no regrets. The lens is a beast but has the range I need which the 24-70 did not. It is superbly sharp. I love it.

I ended up going with the newer Nikon 18-35mm zoom as it is much lighter that the 16-35mm and is also very sharp.

Iansky

Like others, I also went with the 24-120 with my D810 as I wanted the extra reach on a lens I can use for 90% of my work, I am very happy with this combo and used it on my D3s as well.

I am not bothered about the f4 as the image stabiliser is good so allows sharp images at slower speeds.

If I do have any criticism it is that the bokeh can present donuts in a background with light sources rather than an even smooth oof area.

Here are a few images with the lens on both the D3s & D810

D3s

lady_she_14_pp.jpg

sea_front_20.jpg

D810
she_park_3_pp.jpg

rays_822164.jpg