Trying to get lighting right

Lawrence

I want to do some portraits and have one old Sunpak GX14 off camera light … plus of course that bid orb that shines through the window occasionally in winter in New Zealand.

So tell me what is wrong with this informal portrait shot with emphasis on the lighting please.
I am not too fussed about the background distractions because I can always use a backdrop of sorts.

Should the subject look higher up, lower down, to the left or right more, camera be higher/lower etc.?

Formal selfie LOL.jpg

Eyelight

Considering the subject is wearing glasses, it is a fairly good shot. Glasses limit camera and lighting position. If no glasses, a little higher camera angle might be better, but casual not so essential.

The light coming thru the doorway is a bit distracting, but other than that the background actually helps a little, making it a bit more casual.

Eyelight

It's a bit something, for lack of a word, but it may be just because I knew where to look, but definitely better than the bright light.

I'd add that the lighting in general is close enough that I can't really say much because of viewing on a laptop.

On an non lighting note bookcases, and the like, make great backgrounds. I think we had a roll-up bookcase background in the studio. Also, the creative use of depth of field makes many an otherwise yuck background into something usable if not peachy. Peachy is good in case that term is not in the handy dictionary (Bing says it's a North American term).

FastGlass

Portraits rarely look good straight on. Have the subject sit more toward the light and the face turned toward the camera. I'ts usually always better to have the camera slightly above the centerline of the face as not to shoot up the nose. As far as the glasses. A slight turn of the head pretty much wipes out any glare. Looking past the background, overall nice image.