Travel Tips

Artemis.ii

Hi,

I'm new to the world of DSLR and Nikon. So recently I got a D3100 and a couple of lenses. I now have the 18-55mm kit lens, 35mm lens and the 55-200mm zoom lens. I was hoping for some travel advice, basically I'm going to be travelling via backpacking around urban europe for a month and was wondering what lens/lenses I should bring?

Currently the lens I use most often is the 35mm prime since I find it the smallest and makes the camera more portable which I find are important considerations. Given that the photos I would be taking are mostly street, famous landmarks, art etc, anyone has any recommendations? While I like the 35mm the most I'm not sure if not taking the 18-55 instead will cause me to lose on photo opportunities. Also the 18-55 has VR which might help in low light I guess?

Also is a tripod/gorillapod absolutely essential? Thanks!

Curt

Well I am leaving for Sweden in a week; I am taking my D7000, 18-135mm & 50mm.
I have found these to work the best for me. 18mm for wide angle (landscapes,etc.), upward to 135mm (for close up). and my 50mm (for low light & general use).
Try and travel as light as you can otherwise you will curse it later…lol.
You can always use this & that, but in the long run it comes down to what you will really use Oh, I always take a back up camera (my Canon G10). It's pretty small, but a very good camera

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
When I went to Mallorca last year, I only used a belt with a pouch that would hold the camera (D90) and 18-200. There are belts with bottle holders that are padded and they can hold a lens or two. I found this to be a lot more practical than a backpack that you have to remove and open to get to the camera. Sometimes, speed is of the essence while traveling.

Joseph Bautsch

It's a matter of balance and weight. How much backpack equipment do you have to have, how much camera equipment you want to take, how much weight you want or are willing to carry, and how much bulk you are willing to put up with for an extended period of time? The 18-55mm VR won't add that much more weight or bulk to the load. It will give a broader shooting range and the VR will be a great help in low light. It it were me I would also find space in the pack for the 55-200mm. Of course I'm a diehard photographer and would rather suffer the extra weight for the added shooting range. Also think about a carbon fiber monopod. It makes a good walking stick as well as very good stability for the 55-200mm lens in low light.

Joseph Bautsch

They overlap in range but not in lowlight ability. The 35mm f/1.8 will outperform the 18-55mm in lowlight by a long shot. Each lens has it's own capabilities and uses, the 18-55mm for general walk around and scenic, the 55-200m for the longer reach, and the 35mm for low light shooting. The type of shooting you expect, or want, to do on your trip will be the determining factor as to which lens you want to take. If it were me it would be all three. But I would be going on this backpacking trip for the photography opportunities.

Curt

Go with the 18-55mm & the 55-200mm. As Joseph said bring a monopod for low light situations. The 35mm is a faster lens, great for low light hand held. I guess it just depends on how much you want to carry :).

Artemis.ii

thanks joseph for your explanation, curt do you mind telling me why choose the 18-55 over the 35? I was thinking the 18-55's range can be reasonably covered by the 35, and the 35 is more versatile for low light. I probably will take the 55-200 along so yeah its whether i should take one or the other..

Curt

Well actually, as I had said in my first post I am going to Sweden in a week and I am taking my 18-135mm & my 50mm f1.8. If you bring your 35mm f1.8 it will work very well for general use, plus low light, but if you want a bit more range then 18-55mm. will serve you well. The 18mm will be great for wide angle stuff like landscapes or big group shots. I guess it depends on what you are planing on shooting?