Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR

cnywrestling

My workhorse Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D ED lens is nearing the end and it's time to look at new glass. Unfortunately, the budget isn't what it used to be. I'd love to get the latest Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II, but that's a budget buster at the moment. I was looking at the Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR as a potential transition lens until I can get the funds for the next workhorse. Of course, it's a waste of time, money, and effort if the lens can't perform as I need it to. I shoot almost exclusively indoor sports in florescent-lit high school gyms shooting wrestling, basketball and volleyball. I have an SB-800 flash and I do use it even with my 2.8. Can anyone offer advice or better-yet, first hand experience with the Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR in this type of setting? Is it fast enough? Does 3.5 allow enough light in? I'm certainly no expert, which is one of the reasons I need my equipment to do most of the work for me.
Many Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For indoor sports, you're way ahead with your 80-200 2.8. If/when you use the 28-300 at the long end (above 200mm), you'll be stuck with 5.6... You'd rather crop than not be able to have a decent shutter speed for sports.

grandpaw

I know this might be too simple of answer but if it were me I would take the lens you have down to where you normally shoot and set it on F3.5 and F5.6 and see if it will work or not. This will give you a accurate answer instead of members here guessing if it will work.

Scott Ramsey

I own the 28-300mm and have been very happy with its results. At $1,000 I'm not sure it would qualify as a "transition" lens though. As already mentioned you will be at 5.6 at 300mm but if you push the ISO some it should not be a problem. It is plenty sharp and I've gone 16x20 with some prints.

PTphoto

[h=2]Does the 28-300 breathe dust into the camera?[/h]
We all know that this lens is a heavy breathing zoom, but does any of the breathing go into the camera?

You would think Nikon would have designed the lens so that the breathing would be sealed from the camera, wouldn't you? Both my D600 and replacement D610 have had this lens put on and NEVER REMOVED, but dust develops on the sensor. We know the D600 generated dust/oil from within the camera, but the D610 gets mixed comments; some have no dust, some do. Mine does.
Could it possibly be from this lens?

I do love the lens, and it does work as my only lens. It truly is a 'do-it-all' lens for me. As for the questions the OP put up of
Is it fast enough? Does 3.5 allow enough light in? For sports, much would depend on how good your camera is in low light, and how high an ISO you can tolerate in your photo use. It's a 'maybe' in my thinking for the indoor sports use. For my general work, the f3.5-5.6 has not been a problem. Another place to look is Flicker's site with pics specific to the Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1527131@N22/pool/
This may provide more insight as to what this lens is able to produce.

Anyway, If a Nikonite reading this has genuine factual insight about the possibility of this lens breathing dust into the camera, please share your comments.

grandpaw

Does the 28-300 breathe dust into the camera?

We all know that this lens is a heavy breathing zoom, but does any of the breathing go into the camera?

You would think Nikon would have designed the lens so that the breathing would be sealed from the camera, wouldn't you? Both my D600 and replacement D610 have had this lens put on and NEVER REMOVED, but dust develops on the sensor. We know the D600 generated dust/oil from within the camera, but the D610 gets mixed comments; some have no dust, some do. Mine does.
Could it possibly be from this lens?

I do love the lens, and it does work as my only lens. It truly is a 'do-it-all' lens for me. As for the questions the OP put up of
Is it fast enough? Does 3.5 allow enough light in? For sports, much would depend on how good your camera is in low light, and how high an ISO you can tolerate in your photo use. It's a 'maybe' in my thinking for the indoor sports use. For my general work, the f3.5-5.6 has not been a problem. Another place to look is Flicker's site with pics specific to the Nikon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1527131@N22/pool/
This may provide more insight as to what this lens is able to produce.

Anyway, If a Nikonite reading this has genuine factual insight about the possibility of this lens breathing dust into the camera, please share your comments.

I do not have this lens but would think that any dust that may be brought in by the movement of the lens would stay inside the lens itself. As far as I can see the rear glass in the lens is sealed and does not move so in my opinion it would be physically impossible for the lens to put dust in the camera and any dust that may get drawn in to the lens would stay in the lens

Panza

I use an 80-200 f/2.8 also, the thought of it nearing the end of its life time scares me a little bit. If you purchased a 28-300, I feel it would be more of a... "one lens to replace them all" type lens, but wouldn't give you the speed you want for indoor sports. Perhaps search for used alternatives?

PTphoto

Thanks, grandpaw. What you state here is exactly my opinion as well, that the rear glass of the lens is sealed so any dust drawn in to the lens would stay in the lens. Still looking to go beyond these opinions, for a definitive answer here.