Weekly challenge Aug 6 through 12. Abandoned

weebee

Abandoned
Aug 6 - Aug 12

DSC_2134.jpg

This week's photo challenge is "Abandoned". Find any type of abandoned structure or other things that fall into this category and enter it. Process it any way you like.
Be sure to read the NEW Weekly Photo Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information.
1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge. No gallery images or off-site links (flickr, 500px, etc) will be accepted
2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread.
3. Only one photo entry per member for each week, unless otherwise noted.
4. All regularly active members of Nikonites are allowed to participate, including moderators and administrators.
5. All submissions need to be posted by TUESDAY NIGHT, AUGUST 12th at MIDNIGHT US EASTERN TIME. The thread will stay open for an additional 24 hours for "likes" to be posted, followed by the voting thread for finalist.
Voting
During this round, please click the Like this post button to vote for your favorite images. You can vote for as many as you want! At the end of the week, you will have the opportunity to vote again for the top 3 photos for this challenge!
Thanks! And have fun and good luck!

Bob Blaylock

I was thinking of this theme as I was driving to school this morning. I had taken notice of a number of abandoned or otherwise obsolete structures along the way, and thought to photograph some of them for an entry to this challenge. Unfortunately, nearly all of them are not anywhere near a safe place to pull over and park, so I had to pass them by.

I had never noticed this one, before today. An old house, that I find myself wanting to describe as a “fairy castle”. It must have been a very impressive house, at one time, the product of a rather whimsical architect, but I could see that it had been a long time since it was in inhabitable condition. Alas, this was not the best view available of it, but it was the best view anywhere near where I could stop and park. There were “No Stopping” signs all along the road, and a rather dangerous ditch where a shoulder should be. I did find myself a small bit of shoulder that was big enough for me to safely park, and fortunately, no law enforcement came along to cite me for illegally parking while I walked perhaps a hundred yards back or so to where I could get this view.

I took this with my ancient non-AI Vivitar 85-205mm ƒ3.8 zoom lens, mounted to my D3200. This lens produces this interesting “dreamy” effect when the aperture is wide open, as it was when I took this picture.

ƒ3.8, 1/320 of a second, ISO 100.

CSC_2689.jpg

Coordinates of this structure: 38°30′32.26″N 121°17′38.52″W

Last edited:

Roy1961

Contributor
i spotted this and thought, "oh no, probably drunken kids wrapped the car around a lamp post and then abandoned the wreck, kids....

6 - 7th Aug 2014 025.JPG

Eyelight

Kust looked up on google

Abandoned | Define Abandoned at Dictionary.com

is this correct?

While the first definition is the one most people might think of, the photographer is left to interpret the topic as they see it.

So, it is conceivable to have an image of someone who is doing something in an abandoned way. But the further you venture from the norm, the more difficult it will be to tie the image to the topic, which may limit the likes (votes).

Along these lines, likers (voters) should consider how well an image fits the topic and the creative way(s) the photographer may be using to bring a subject into the topic we would not normally see.

Chayelle

Abandoned Birdbath in an abandoned garden...

Attachments

• Abandoned Bird Bath in Abandoned Garden  crop  resize  SEV_3241.jpg
    Abandoned Bird Bath in Abandoned Garden crop resize SEV_3241.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:

Philnz

Beyond Repair
DSC_8752 Sol.jpg

Model NIKON D5100
Shutter Speed 1/40 s
F-Number f/8
ISO ISO 100
Exposure Bias Value 0.00 eV
Metering Mode Center weighted average
Flash No Flash
Focal Length 50 mm
Lens Model 50 mm f/1.8
White Balance Details Auto
Date/Time Original 10/08/2014 02:51:53 PM

ptcasper

PTC_0110.jpg

Molly Stark Hospital in Ohio. The building was a tuberculosis sanitarium in the 1930s and then became a state mental hospital before closing in the '90s.

Elliot87

DSC_0017.jpg

So here's my first entry in any type of photo challenge. It part of a Castle ruins near Rothley, Northumberland, UK. I'd have liked to have got some more shots from more angles but I had to "abandon" shooting as there was a massive rain cloud headed my way, don't be fooled by the blue sky in the photo!