How do you like your new D810?

Hassiman

I have been torn between Canon and Nikon but this new D810 seem to be a very refined product. I am looking at the optics as well. How do the wide zooms like the Nikon 16-35mm compare to the Canon alternative ?
I have been waiting ever since I got rid of my dusty D600 a year ago. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have been torn between Canon and Nikon but this new D810 seem to be a very refined product. I am looking at the optics as well. How do the wide zooms like the Nikon 16-35mm compare to the Canon alternative ?
I have been waiting ever since I got rid of my dusty D600 a year ago. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Is your post concerns about the D810 or the Nikon lenses? Perhaps this is your opportunity to own a Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 that can AF. Match it with the D810, then you'll have a robust landscape set-up.

Last edited:

richardhurst

I swapped over from Canon recently after being a 1DX user with lots of "L" Lenses. I love the D810. The LCD live view isn't as good as the Canons but its minimal. The files sizes you get from the camera are huge and you can confidently print really big if you want to. I have the 24-70mmf2.8 and the 16-35mm f4 so far and they are both very sharp.

Take the plunge and swap over and you will not be disappointed.

zutty

I have had both the D610 and the D810 and while the 610 takes amazing images when used with top glass, there are some really big difference that I found were worth the price difference. The clarity of the viewfinder was significantly better in the 810 and the 610 has what to me is an annoying green tint that was hard to see in daylight shoots. Although I did not use either primarily for video, the 810's live view is much clearer and versatile than the 610 if that matters to you.
All that said, I have no experience with Canon at all but I chose Nikon because I did have some experience with them way back in the day and loved the quality of the lenses I had. If you do choose the D810, I think you'll be very happy if you choose the lenses that suit it. I have the 14-24 and the 16mm 2.8D fisheye both of which work really well with the 810.

Last edited:

Hassiman

Richard, after switching to Nikon from Canon how do you feel the build quality and sharpness of your Canon L glass compares to the Nikon lenses you have for you D810? I am considering the 16-35mm F4 N VR.

Bengt Nyman

I have switched from Canon 5DI+II to Nikon D800E and D810. The difference in IQ is very obvious. Especially using Nikon prime lenses. I do not use zooms for landscape because of the compromise in IQ. You won't go wrong with the 810.

richardhurst

Richard, after switching to Nikon from Canon how do you feel the build quality and sharpness of your Canon L glass compares to the Nikon lenses you have for you D810? I am considering the 16-35mm F4 N VR.

So far I've seen no difference between the L glass and the nikon glass, if anything the nikon glass is slightly better