Enhance photo help!

Marc_uk

Hi. This is my first post. I am trying to alter/enhance some photos. Just regular crop and colour adjustments using basic free software like picassa. But when I print them out, they are not as clear as the originals. I've taken the shots in raw/nef and then enhanced, then used the nx2 software free with nikon to convert to jpg. Any advice would be great!

Eyelight

Depending on how your enhancing software works, NX2 may not be converting the enhanced version, but converting from the original.

You said "software like picassa", so are you using Picassa or something else? Picassa will create a JPEG and does not change the original file.

nickt

So are you saying that what I am doing is correct?

Its not clear from your question exactly what you are doing. Are you editing in picasa and trying to hand something back to nx2? Or are you editing in nx2 and then opening the nef picasa? Or are you converting to jpg in nx2 to and then editing the resulting jpg in picasa? Or maybe none of that?

If you stick to editing and printing from just one program, does it print ok?

If you do get good prints with some methods, tell us what works good and also tell us exactly step by step what you are doing that gives poor prints.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It probably has to do with your printer's preferences or interface. When printing, it is important to look at the definition and size so that the printer's software doesn't destroy all the great work you had done enhancing the picture.

Maybe if you would supply more information we would be able to help you more.

aroy

Hi. This is my first post. I am trying to alter/enhance some photos. Just regular crop and colour adjustments using basic free software like picassa. But when I print them out, they are not as clear as the originals. I've taken the shots in raw/nef and then enhanced, then used the nx2 software free with nikon to convert to jpg. Any advice would be great!
If you have to, then use NX2 first and Picassa next. Do minor editing in NX2 - colour & WB adjustment, enhancements etc. If you want more control then use Nikon's Capture NX-D, forget Picassa. It is a free download and does all the basic edits you are using.

For printing generate the print files from Nikon software. That will ensure optimum colour and clarity.