Canon killers

kiwi86

Imagine.
Dfs (with body from 21 century) or D710.
Senzor from Sony A7s. 12 Mpix
ISO Range 400-50 K. Improved noise reduction software.
8 fps
Number of focus point 51
no video
Price 2 k EUR.

aroy

Imagine.
8 fps
Number of focus point 51
no video
Price 2 k EUR.

I would prefer DF style body with
. 24MP FX sensor from D610
. Expeed 4 processor
. No video
. On board flash
. 8fps
. Unlimited RAW buffer
. No video
. US $2K price

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Imagine.
8 fps
Number of focus point 51
no video
Price 2 k EUR.

Don't you think that the current models are not up to the task yet?

Vincent

What about at photokina Sept 2014, Nikon D9300?

Sensor technology from Sony A7s, but slightly smaller pixels 12 Mpix, delivering D4s ISO performance on APS-c with Expeed 5 processing.
9 fps + Number of focus point 51 + professional finishing
4K video (with some inconvenience)
price of the D610 + 10%

A cropped D4s, that is somewhere between the D610 and the D810 at the top of the range.

==========

Sorry forgot the +D2300 which should eat away the market for the 1200D of Canon.

Last edited:

Jules

I would be very pleased if the fabled D9300 had this spec then I would not have to buy it but for some it would be irresistible. I can see why they may be happy, a lot of Wildlife bods out there that are very pleased with their D300's even now. I am hoping they lay off on the Mp but will be picking up an additional D7100 instead, as I just like em!

Vincent

It seems that the D2300 would be key for Nikon, it seems strange to bring out the D3000 again, under an other name.

Nikon cuts profit guidance on weak camera sales in Europe- Nikkei Asian Review
Sales of interchangeable-lens cameras fell 31% to 1.1 million units amid weak demand in Japan, Europe and the U.S. The drop was sharper [for Nikon] than rival Canon's 19% decrease. "Price competition in entry-level models is intense in Europe and the U.S.," Itoh noted.

However they are still selling well: Nikon tumbles after cutting profit forecast on euro | Reuters
The company, which makes nearly two-thirds of its revenue from its imaging business, maintained a sales forecast for 10 million interchangeable lens cameras and 18 million compact cameras and in the business year.

Conclusion seems to be: People are buying Nikon, but they are buying the models with less margin.

Jules

I think it's getting harder out htere to sell DSLR's in general, especially in Europe, Sony is doing well with it's A7 range, quite a lot of my Landscaping buddies have switched over to this model coupled with the new A77II for critters, it all seems to work very well.
Nikon need to go back to the old ways of the mechanical linkage for the aperture in live view, on all their bodies. Everyone that I have spoken to that has changed brand states this as the biggie, the fact that you can see the exposure change in live view on the back screen, models below the D800 can't do this, so they are looking at Canon but then buyiing A7R's,
Been quite tempted myself but the other half would marmalize me!
I'd like a DF type camera with the D610 sensor but with an electronic A7R type viewfinder etc, then it could look just like an FM2N :cool:

Last edited:

AC016

And all of that will not make you a better photographer. Speeds & feeds again. Why care about "killing" Canon? Just shoot with what you have and don't care about what others are using. There will always be Nikon vs Canon.

Vincent

Vincent - were did you came up with these models and specs?

Glenn, I thought that the purpose of the thread was that you tried to see what would be needed for Nikon to win commercially.
I based myself on Nikonrumors as you might have noticed for the names, nothing but rumors. specifications are completely made up.
However it seems logical that there are these 2 models: D300s replacement and competitor for 1200D (since low market is selling well an you will need to make margin there). (All the rest has been done? except the D7200, but I find that early for Nikon)

I actually wanted to review my D9300 prediction:
The sony A7s technology would be to early for Nikon it seems to me, so let me take the D810 technology and slimming it down to APS-C, it would give a 14 MegaPixel sensor, DXO Mark 14.8 Evs Dynamic Range and 2853 ISO; that would suddenly change the APS-C market.
I checked the pixel pitch for this, but if you have the same pixels on a smaller surface the sensor sensitivity should not fundamentally change.

.... Why care about "killing" Canon? Just shoot with what you have and don't care about what others are using. There will always be Nikon vs Canon.

I guess you have an Ericsson phone, a Nokia phone or a Motorola? If you do not defend your position aggressively in the current economy you get taken over by Sony, Microsoft or Google. Some want Nikon to decide how to create the next innovations in photography not Canon, not Sony, Microsoft or Google. Did you see on Flickr that the most used camera is the i-phone, followed by Canon/Niikon and then Samsung Galaxy.
There are real marketing issues in the war against smart phones, but even in the ILC market (DSLR or MILC), Canon remains the competitor to beat.

Last edited:

rocketman122

D810 size/build with 20mp and 8fpsm low light to 12800iso like D3s.$2500.

there is no camera besides D4/s that caters to weddings low light. Df is an overpriced, underspeced joke. D810 says 12800, but images even at 8000..meh. d600 af is crap at best. colors are meh. response time is meh.

D700 did everything a pro needs except 1 slot memory card. D710 needs iso to 12800 6-8fps is fine, good video. between D600-810.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn, I thought that the purpose of the thread was that you tried to see what would be needed for Nikon to win commercially.
I based myself on Nikonrumors as you might have noticed for the names, nothing but rumors. specifications are completely made up.

Ok got it. I have not followed NR lately. Based on the link that was posted, there seems to be another FX camera that might get introduced. NR Admin has been spot on with his blogs and has reliable sources.

aroy

However it seems logical that there are these 2 models: D300s replacement and competitor for 1200D (since low market is selling well an you will need to make margin there). (All the rest has been done? except the D7200, but I find that early for Nikon)...........
I personally think that the D3300 is a strong competitor for the Canon 1200D. Every thing is better in the Nikon. And the price difference is a pittance - about Rs.1,000/ that is less than US$20. To sweeten the deal the Canon is offered with an additional 16GB card and a UV filter. That speaks volumes of their off take.

Canon EOS 1200D with 18-55mm + Additional 16GB card + UV filter : Price, Review, Specs & Buy in India - Snapdeal.com
Nikon D3300 with 18-55 Lens (Black): Price, Review, Specs & Buy in India - Snapdeal.com

gqtuazon

Gear Head
D810 size/build with 20mp and 8fpsm low light to 12800iso like D3s.$2500.

there is no camera besides D4/s that caters to weddings low light. Df is an overpriced, underspeced joke. D810 says 12800, but images even at 8000..meh. d600 af is crap at best. colors are meh. response time is meh.

D700 did everything a pro needs except 1 slot memory card. D710 needs iso to 12800 6-8fps is fine, good video. between D600-810.

I am not a wedding photographer but there are some who requires at least 24 mp based on what they print. I would assume that most will be using the D3s, D4 and D4s cameras to address the low light and faster fps that you brought up. However, I understand that not everyone can afford these bodies except for those who have established their firm in the market.

It just boggles me that if these cameras are not up to the task, how did the wedding photographers get by when digital was at it's infancy during the D1 and D2 era? Film? or are we just expecting too much just to get the latest and greatest?

SkvLTD

I guess you have an Ericsson phone, a Nokia phone or a Motorola? If you do not defend your position aggressively in the current economy you get taken over by Sony, Microsoft or Google. Some want Nikon to decide how to create the next innovations in photography not Canon, not Sony, Microsoft or Google. Did you see on Flickr that the most used camera is the i-phone, followed by Canon/Niikon and then Samsung Galaxy.
There are real marketing issues in the war against smart phones, but even in the ILC market (DSLR or MILC), Canon remains the competitor to beat.

As a matter of fact, Nikon is my good old reliable Nokia. Does what I need it to do, how I need it to do it, when I need it, and seldom fails on battery life. Canon is like Apple - all the dolts know the name, so if they think camera they just think Canon like iPhone to be the only phone out there. And Canon suckers em all in with like a/b/c/d/e/f/s trims of each grade of camera that really could all be cut into more comprehensive package. Then Samsungs and Sonys are you Androids - fancy shmancy until it comes to delivering something real/battery life/startup lag. And Pentax is like Moto - solid in the past, and left in the past.

So it's not so much fighting for your brand or not, it's just knowing what's best on the market for it's intended purpose. Being an educated consumer means you're already smarter than the masses, so regardless of their purchase choices, you will outshoot them. And now I'll agree that it all that matters.