Random Images getting locked (read only) while on Back Button Focus

Johnnya

Hello All... And thanks in advanced for you assistance...
I have just upgraded to my first DSLR to a new Nikon. D3200...

I have set the camera up to disable the focus using the shutter button moving focus to the AE-L / AF-L button (back button focus)...
Focusing has now moved to the rear button... This button should now be used only to focus, but I have noticed that now I get random locked (read only) photos....

This button normally can also be used to lock images while viewing them in the viewfinder....

My my question is, why is this continuing to lock images? I am using this button for focus only....

thanks...

i like using this feature... Back button focus, but have had to disable it because of this issue....

nickt

No matter what function you assign to that button, it will still lock an image if the back screen is lit and showing an image for review. If you turn off auto image review in the playback menu, you can avoid this accidental locking. You will save some battery too with the screen not coming on after each picture.

Johnnya

Thanks for the rapid response... That should do it... Seams for the 4sec the image is on the screen, if I still have or hit the AE-L / AF-L button it will put a lock on the image... even if I switched it to back button focusing... Looks like on better cameras this feature is separated... I'll work around it...
Again thanks for the rapid responses and great article...

nickt

Also, if you need to quickly move the focus point around with the multi-selector, you won't be able to do it while the rear screen is on. There are similar opportunities to mis-click even on the higher model Nikons when buttons and wheels take on image review functions. I keep my automatic image review turned off. Its very easy to hit the play button when I need to see the image.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You could also just touch the shutter button since this instantly turns off the picture review. So it would just be a small pressure on the shutter before you press the back button to focus. Just a suggestion that might work.