Nikkor 70-300mm 4-5.6

fotojack

I have this lens, Curt. Wanna buy it? :) Takes really sharp photos in all its range. I use a monopod and/or a tripod with it, though, as it's not VR. However, as we both know, the VR version is twice the price! If you're interested, give me a shout on pm. :)

Joseph Bautsch

Jack is right it's a very good lens. The problem with the non-VR is camera shake while hand holding. It is not a very good lens at low light levels, (where you can't get the shutter speed over 1/300 sec.), without a monopod or tripod. I sold it and bought the VRII model. A world of difference with the VR. Hand holding you gain up to 3 stops over the shooting range of the non-VR. That means sharp photos at much lower light levels and shutter speeds. Both lenses have the same glass and if you plan on using the non-VR mostly with a tripod or monopod you can get equivalent quality.

Curt

Well right now I have a Nikkor 55-200mm VR lense, I just saw the 70-300mm for sale for $80.00 and thought it sounded pretty good. I was looking for something that might get me a bit closer for some wildlife...lol. Not real big on using a tripod outside a studio setting (I do a lot of table top as you can see from my gallery...lol). But outside that not big on carting a tripod around :). Which I now realize I would have to do this that lens.

Ruidoso Bill

I also have one, use a tripod, other than that it's a good lens in my opinion. I enjoy using mine, set up the tripod, get the chair, open the thermos, wait for the wildlife = nice day.

fotojack

Yup.....what Bill said. :) Come on, Curt! Big strapping boy like you can't carry around a little ol' tripod? ;) lol Oh, on that $80 lens........remember to take your flashlight with you and check to see if it has any schmutz inside it. :)

Curt

LOL... Like I said I don't know if its something I am even going to follow up on at this point. But I really don't like carrying a tripod around with me :). I am heading over to Sweden in a week or so. Bringing my D7000/w 18-135. & my 50mm.
Also backing it up with my G10. Too much to carry...lol. But I hope to get some great shots (post them when I get back).

fotojack

Well, for what it's worth, I sold my Nikkor Micro 85mm lens and bought the 55-300mm VR II lens! :) I'm so excited! lol Like a kid with a new toy, eh! :)

goz63

Curt, here is my $0.02. If you have the 55-200 VR don't trade it in for the 70-300 non-VR. If you want the reach either look at the 70-300 VR or the 55-300 VRII. I have the 55-300 and love it. I talked my dad into getting one as he had the 55-200 VR. He was concerned with hand shake, he is in his early 70's but he has no trouble with it at all. The 300 zooms with VR are all well received and have great reviews. If you are interested you can go to Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera and they will give you reviews on all three of those lenses. I will say that those reviews are not as flattering for the non-VR lens.
I personally liked the 55-300. It is only a DX lens but that is what I have. If you think you might upgrade to a full frame body, then get the 70-300 VR. I really like the 55 on the low end. 70mm is too long on that DX frame. This allows less speculation on which lens to use or potentially having trouble getting a closer in shot.
Hope this helps.

Curt

Mark, gettin my Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens on Tuesday, just got back from Sweden today and I am very excited about getting the new lens :).

goz63

Curt, I see you have a D200 as well as the DX D7000, great choice for you. Hope you like it. It is a great lens. Congrats!

Curt

Thank you Mark, really looking forward to playing with the 70-300mm this summer. Just got back from Sweden today and a friend there had one, so I had to have one...lol. It was fantastic, can't wait to pop it on my D7000. Yes I have a D200 & a D80.

fotojack

Curt, I finally sold my 70-300 (non VR) and got the 55-300 VR. Totally happy with it. Takes awesome shots. Glad to see ya back, bud. Hope ya had a good time over there. :)

Curt

Yeah Jack, had a great time, check out my gallery for pics.
Glad to hear you are loving that 55-300mm, just ordered a 70-300mm ED VR lens myself.
Can't wait to play with it this summer, should get it Tuesday.

Curt

Well there were a few factors that came into play; 1. the construction of the lens was better, 2. ED feature, 3. silent wave, 4. 70-300mm (instead of 55-300mm 5. image quality. I have a 55-200mm and the over all feel of the 70-300mm felt better.
Plus it was a FX lens (will move to a D700 sometime in the future) So I will not buy anymore DX lens. I have a few FX lenses now (only two DX lenses). So these were all determining factors in buying the Nikkor AF-S 70-300 ED VR II lens.

goz63

Well there were a few factors that came into play; 2. ED feature, 3. silent wave, 4. 70-300mm (instead of 55-300mm 5. image quality.
Plus it was a FX lens (will move to a D700 sometime in the future) So I will not buy anymore DX lens.
Curt I understand the perceived feel and wanting the FX lens but the 55-300 has a silent wave motor and ED glass as well and not sure why limiting to 70mm on the wide end is a "better" thing. Just curious.

Curt

Yeah, I thought that after that I do remember that the 55-300mm did have ED glass & S.W.
Right now I have a 55-200mm, don't get me wrong I think its a great lens. I guess for me the 70-300mm had a better feel then my 55-200mm. It just feels like a up graded lens. And from what I have heard a much more often choice over the 55-300mm.