First automotive thread post

Blade Canyon

DSC_2783e.jpg

Good friend with his new F30 (3 series BMW).

mauckcg

Would you suggest using a larger aperture?

For the rolling car stuff I really like the effect.

For moving cars, a wider aperture gives you a smoother/creamier out of focus area. The GTR autocross shots, Going with ISO 100 and a wider aperture would have made for a smoother look. Something like this except for the speed differential.

Below is 1/320th, ISO 100, f7.1
14086424397_bb4e90fb71_c.jpg

SkvLTD

Sky glare in every shot hurts my eyes. Buy a circular polarizer and marry it to your lens for ANY and all daytime car shots. Else very first shot would look much better if it was tighter.

Else, Evo livery is pretty nice and clean.

No longer here

Sky glare in every shot hurts my eyes. Buy a circular polarizer and marry it to your lens for ANY and all daytime car shots. Else very first shot would look much better if it was tighter.

Appreciate the advice. I bought one, but I miss judged the size (67mm instead of 72mm).

SkvLTD

Appreciate the advice. I bought one, but I miss judged the size (67mm instead of 72mm).

Funny enough, I got away with that last I shot cars because I ended up using 70-300 the whole way and I got the 67 specifically for that. Now that I have a 24-85, might consider a 72 for car shows and closer proxy, but If I land a 70-200 then it'll be a step-up ring and an extra 77mm cap.

mauckcg

Sure, for static cars a CPL works pretty well cutting the glare. At a race the lans is moving so much that a CPL won't be doing much other than cutting light.

You don't NEED a CPL. It's certainly nice to have, but you can get just as good results by changing your position in relation to the sun and where the glare falls on the cars.

SkvLTD

Sure, for static cars a CPL works pretty well cutting the glare. At a race the lans is moving so much that a CPL won't be doing much other than cutting light.

You don't NEED a CPL. It's certainly nice to have, but you can get just as good results by changing your position in relation to the sun and where the glare falls on the cars.

Not always a luxury, and then it would be one same angle to avoid the glare in most shorts. CPL opens up the options quite nicely.