GEO tagging photographs and Lightroom 3 question?

JDLucas

Considering a dedicated GPS receiver for my Nikon D3 but don’t want to add yet another time consuming step to my workflow. Have been looking for a Lightroom 3 plugin that would reverse geotag the gps coordinates in each photo file and import them directly back into the IPTC location data for that same photo file.
Does any such animal exist? :confused:
This might be perfect project for Lightroom plugin coders. :cool:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've used two different GPS receivers with my D300. One was wired and the new one is wireless. Once it is turned on and has a signal, there is NOTHING else for you to do. The coordinates are automatically stored in the EXIF. Lightroom (and other applications) read the coordinates directly from the EXIF. Using a logger and then matching it back to the images is a PITA.

Check out this thread for info on the wireless option that I use: http://nikonites.com/other-photography-equipment/1983-aokatec-ak-4n-bluetooth-gps-adapter.html

JDLucas

Thanks for the reply, but what I am looking for is a software plugin for Lightroom 3 that would take the gps coordinates from the EXIF data and convert it to place names, then insert this location information into the IPTC. Don't think this plugin is available, at least as far as I have been searching. It would be a great time saver if the gps data could be converted (reverse lookup) into location place names and inserted directly into IPTC.

JDLucas

GPS for a D3

After reviewing several GPS receivers to use on a Nikon D3, finally decided on and purchased a JYC N-769/N1. The specs look good and comes complete with a shutter release cable.
Has anyone in the forums used this gps receiver?
The price was right, $76.00 directly from China with free shipping, expecting delivery in about 2 weeks.

Browncoat

Threads merged. In the future, please try to reply to the original thread you created on this topic in order to avoid forum clutter.