D7000 purchase options

fripple

I'm about to bite the bullet on the D7000. I'm having issues with picking out a kit with lenses. I own a D40 with the 18-55, 35, and 55-200. I can't decide if I want to buy the kit with the 18-105 or just the D7000 body.....

My woman will take over the D40 when I purchase the D7000. Maybe buy the D7000 and 18-200? Is there anything better that I should be eyeballing? 18-105 lens any good? I've read some reviews, but none really say good or bad things. I'm just confused! haha!

IanCD

I bought the D7000 body + 16-85mm lens and am really pleased with it... very sharp. I read a lot of forums and reviews beforehand - lots of positive feedback about this lens, which is why I bought it, and it's a useful range :) Ian

Joseph Bautsch

You already cover the range of 18mm to 200mm. The lenses you are considering to purchase are no better than the ones you already have. Unless your woman is going to take the three lenses you are currently using with the D40. In that case I would go for the 18-200mm. In any case to answer your question the 18-105mm VRII is a good walk around lens for general use. As good as any we are discussing here. I have that lens and use it quite a bit. Even though it's called a "kit lens" its still Nikon glass and in my experience produces excellent pictures.

fripple

Yeah true. I'm thinking she will be using the D40 most of the time with the 18-55mm. So I'm thinking I might just buy it with the kit lens. I just purchased the 55-200 a week ago. I saw that Best Buy had the D7000 kit with 18-105, 55-300, 8gb card and a bag for around $1700 something....

Hmmmm...maybe I could just return the 55-200 and buy the kit with two lenses from BB. I dunno...hahaha. Decisions, decisions!

fotojack

Joseph beat me to it! :) I was going to say exactly the same thing. If it was my money, I'd get the 55-300VR lens for the D7000. The 18-105 wouldn't hurt either. :)

Curt

When I bought my D7000 I just bought the body. I already had a 55-200, I use my 18-135mm the most for general shooting.
But I have a 28-105mm I really like as well. Do you have a general prime lens, something like a 50mm 1.8, 1.4?? that is a must. Fairly low cost (the 1.8) under $200.00 very sharp images, best bang for the buck.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I see that you already are covered between 18 to 200 with the lens you have. I vote with Curt for the 50 1.8. For the money, it's a lot of lens. Great for portraits on DX, super in low light, it is a must. Then after a while you'll see what range you use the most, then you can start investing into prime fast zooms or primes.

fripple

I have the 35mm prime. I love that little lens, it's very sharp. I shoot mainly with the 18-55 and I'm afraid my woman will do the same. So that's why I'm wondering if I should just purchase it with the kit lens. I thought about just buying the body. Decisions, decisions!

Curt

I don't know about there in the States, but Best buy won't sell just the D7000 body alone here in Canada.
You have to buy it as a kit?? I do think you have a couple of choices and one I think is 18-55mm?
I bought mine from a great place here in Canada (fantastic service) https://www.thecamerastore.com/

Curt

That is why I choose to buy else where (not a big BB fan).
You might want to check out the link I sent you, pretty poor after service at B.B.
But the camera store is fantastic; they really followed up after and gave me a lot of advice (still do). I know the company is here in Canada, but it might be worth your while to check them out. I ordered the camera on a Wednesday and got it Thursday after noon.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have the 35mm prime. I love that little lens, it's very sharp. I shoot mainly with the 18-55 and I'm afraid my woman will do the same. So that's why I'm wondering if I should just purchase it with the kit lens. I thought about just buying the body. Decisions, decisions!

The kit lens (18-105 is a very good lens. It's not 1.8, but with the high iso that the d7000 will give you and the VR, you should be ok in most of the cases unless you want to do indoor sports, then I'd go a different route.

fripple

I'm going to be mainly shooting outdoors. We do have a local camera company that is very good also. I need to check with them too. I usually forget about them. I'll check them out too Curt, thanks!

I was going to use Best Buy because of the no interest financing that they have going right now. I do have cash to outright buy it, but I usually buy things on the credit card then pay them off to help with my credit score.

Rick M

I'm going to be mainly shooting outdoors. We do have a local camera company that is very good also. I need to check with them too. I usually forget about them. I'll check them out too Curt, thanks!

I was going to use Best Buy because of the no interest financing that they have going right now. I do have cash to outright buy it, but I usually buy things on the credit card then pay them off to help with my credit score.

Off topic but... I wouldn't use any card at BB. I bought something there a few years ago and they tagged 3 AOL accounts on my card without my knowledge/consent. Took 4 months to get $300 in fraudulent charges off my account, all traced back to BB. They are also notorious for the worst return policies in retail.

Last edited:

fripple

I pulled the trigger and got the D7000 with the 18-105 and 55-300. I must say that this D7000 is great! I shot my D40 for a while and this new camera is a nice upgrade!!!

Curt

Congratulations on the new D7000, you will discover something great about it everyday J. Great camera and it sounds like you got a couple nice lenses to go along with it, happy shooting.