Nikon D5200 or D7100?

Shawn Alain

Hi,
I'm trying to decide between a Nikon D5200 or D7100. This would be my 3rd camera having gone from the D5000 to D5100. One key feature I need is the bluetooth so I can snap a pic and automatically have it go to my phone to Instagram and sync with OneDrive. Do they both have this?

Nero

Definitely the D7100. Coming from the D5000 and D5100 the D5200 wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase IMO.

adityasoman

As Marcel said D7100 with wifi sd card
Else D7000 n the sd card...but no D5*** model if you looking for upgrade photography wise
Other wise D5200/5300 will do

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2

Horoscope Fish

The D5300 has built-in WiFi; it's the only Nikon to date that does. I would also put the picture quality on par with the D7100 and I should know: I shoot with a D7100 and the girlfriend uses a D5300. I would have a hard time suggesting the D5100; not that there's anything wrong with it, there are just better options for you, I think.

If it were me, and the D7100 was within the realm of consideration, I would go this route and use an EyeFi card in one of the slots. My second, VERY CLOSE second would be going with the D5300. Both choices are very good but the D7100 has a lot of nice extras that, once you have, would be hard to give up.

Edit: Something else to consider might be the RAVPower Wireless Filehub. I'm considering one of these myself.

Last edited:

Sapy

I have d7100 and there is no bluetooth but others hade give some options to overcome that. Anyway my choice would be d7100 I am really pleased with d7100.

yogirajj

Hi,
I'm trying to decide between a Nikon D5200 or D7100. This would be my 3rd camera having gone from the D5000 to D5100. One key feature I need is the bluetooth so I can snap a pic and automatically have it go to my phone to Instagram and sync with OneDrive. Do they both have this?

I'm not sure if you can do all that without any additional input from the user. I don't recall any Nikon using built in Bluetooth. Although I've heard of adapters, but I think this is exclusively for GPS feature (don't hold me to that, I'm only making an assumption on the bluetooth hardware). I think your best route would be what Horoscope Fish said; get an Eye-fi, but I still don't think you can simultaneously sync Instagram and One drive; I'm pretty sure that's a manual process, unless there is an application I'm not aware of.

The picture specs between the d5200 and the d7100 are nearly identical. However, you should know that the d7100 doesn't have the flexible monitor.

Deleted

You haven't given a budget, your type of photography, or a list of your current lenses. But have you considered the full frame D750?

A definite upgrade over what you have, it includes the tilting screen (on a single axis), includes WiFi, can auto crop so that you continue to use the lenses you already have. Plus points are better build quality, higher image quality, better low light performance. Minus points are cost & about 300g more weight.

yogirajj

You haven't given a budget, your type of photography, or a list of your current lenses. But have you considered the full frame D750?

A definite upgrade over what you have, it includes the tilting screen (on a single axis), includes WiFi, can auto crop so that you continue to use the lenses you already have. Plus points are better build quality, higher image quality, better low light performance. Minus points are cost & about 300g more weight.

If he goes that route, I suggest the d810 for even more brilliant picture quality, and weather resistant. It's only about 400 dollars more. However, it does not have a pivot screen ;). Although not having a Pivot screen isn't a deal breaker for me, sometimes it may make a difference when you are shooting certain video scenes.

:witless:

Last edited:

ShootRaw

If he goes that route, I suggest the d810 for even more brilliant picture quality, and weather resistant. It's only about 400 dollars more. However, it does not have a pivot screen ;). Although not having a Pivot screen isn't a deal breaker for me, sometimes it may make a difference when you are shooting certain video scenes.

:witless:
$1000 difference in the D750 to D810..(not sure where you got $400 from