D600 Focus Question

Megharupa

Hello,
I have a D600 and was trying to understand how the focus system works.
When I put the camera in AF-A 5, 9, or 21 points and check where the camera focus is using View-NX2, it always seems to use the center focus point. As when I place the focus in AF-A Auto the camera will use multiple focus points.

Why is that??

In 5, 9, or 21 point focus, does the camera choose what point is best??
Also, in AF-S Auto the camera also will choose multiple points.
I think I must be missing something.
Best regards

FastGlass

Not to be a smart ass but did you read the manual? I can't answer your question as I always use single point. Not absolutely sure how it works without reading into it. I'm sure I used to know but when never used you soon forget. When I got my first SLR. I would read the manual and try certain things on the camera as I read. Before I knew it, I new allot about it. The thing I know about the auto mode is that the camera will choose what area of the frame it thinks is best. Problem with that is when shooting portraits you want to focus on the eye's and the camera may or may not choose that spot.

skene

When dealing with more technical aspects of the camera, it's best to first read the manual. Lots of great information can be had when you take the time to read it.
Some items are best explained through it as you get the correct information. Not an interpretation of what one thinks it may be.

BackdoorArts

Without sounding like a wise-ass and just telling you to read the manual because it explains everything I'll simply say this...

"Auto" = Let the Camera make the decision
"Non-Auto" = Let the Human make the decision
5, 9, 21 = Number of points that the human can decide between when moving the selection cursor

When the camera lights up multiple focus points, it's because with the chosen aperture they are all in the same focus plane, not because it is trying to focus on all of them simultaneously. When you move your focus point (which starts in the middle, but you get to move it) it's to the point in the composed frame that you want in focus. The center spot is the default start position and you can only ever get one point.

BTW, if you find you can't move the point, make sure the lever on the back isn't on 'L' before you ask (that's in the manual too).