Has anyone received a new D610 in the Nikon D600 Settlement Replacement Program?

rocketman122

Yes, It would be nice to know that Nikon has made good for someone on this part of their offer to make things right.

your yes confirms it. but I think youre asking only for your own benefit so you can try to squeeze one out from them. and thats integrity. something thats in my core. so Im guessing you wont get the answer youre looking for here.

PTphoto

your yes confirms it. but I think youre asking only for your own benefit so you can try to squeeze one out from them. and thats integrity. something thats in my core. so Im guessing you wont get the answer youre looking for here.

Actually, the answer is here in other posts, which, being new on this forum, I've just found and read. It seems that Nikon is being fair, and making good, either with a shutter replacement, and even with new D610 replacements.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Some people did receive a D610 while others have not. From the sounds of it, if the camera is out of warranty, the repair is more extensive, and more parts get replaced or tweaked. You can read more here:

http://nikonites.com/d600-d610/20745-d600-shutter-replacement-news-25.html#axzz398n9ctvl

Please be sure to read Jake's comment about his most recent Nikon repair which comes from that link:

Speaking of my camera, I decided to call Nikon and speak to someone directly since this is my camera's 3rd trip there. It was rather enlightening.

Bad news is that I won't be getting a D610 shipped to me. I asked why, given that this is my 3rd time being without a camera. The rep's reply was that, "Your first two repairs were warranty repairs. This is your first repair under the service advisory. With this, your shutter has been replaced, along with 6 additional parts, a full cleaning done, as well as an autofocus adjust. There is more work that goes into these service advisory repairs than had been done on the warranty repairs, and we find that it is solving the issue more readily. Should you find that you are still experiencing the dirt on the sensor after you get it back please call us immediately and we will see if something else needs to be done."

I could complain that all these steps weren't taken on my initial repairs, but given that I was an early adopter it may be that Nikon spent a good 6+ months getting to the root of precisely what was wrong and once they did they issued the service advisory ... and the D610.

Good news is the repair is done and just waiting on packing and shipping. If they get it out tomorrow I'll have it for the weekend. No complaints here.

Keoki

I received a D610 as a replacement after sending my D600 in 4 times. My D600 had overly extreme oil splatter issues immediately after receiving it back after each servicing and I documented it well. I can't tell you how pleased I am with my D610.

BackdoorArts

As stated in the thread about the servicing, this was my camera's 3rd trip back. I contacted them to see if this was, in fact, the case, and that they would be shipping me a D610. I was told that since the other two were "warranty" repairs and this was my first time under the service advisory, I would not be getting a different body because since the work done on the SA was "more extensive than the repairs done previously and they are having great success with them."

I'm not bitter, but it would have been nice to get the 3fps silent shutter - though only thing I personally feel is an improvement. I'm almost thinking about getting it dirty again just to complain. ;)

Fred Kingston

Jake... there's a new post on Nikon Rumors about the issue... pay attention to the last paragraph... folks opting for the annual sensor cleaning rather than the exchange... :confused:

BackdoorArts

Not the case at all. I don't know where they get the "sensor cleaning for life" stuff with the D600. The maintenance they are offering now is a one shot deal meant to fix the issue. Folks may have been offered the D610 and charged the difference for the upgrade (i.e. I bought my D600 as a kit that essentially devalues the body by about $300 because of the value of the lens and the discount I received on the package), so I would need to fork over $100-200 for the D610. Or I could have them do the maintenance. How the guy on the other thread got it automatically I'll never know, but this is the first I've ever heard of annual sensor cleanings. I was told that this should fix things, and if not to contact them immediately to discuss an exchange of bodies. No shot that I'd go for the cleanings - I can do it myself and not have to lose the camera for a week or more every year.

Phillydog1958

I'm probably sending my D600 back. This will be my second time. I was happy with the effort and results, but I recently did several sunset shots and noticed 2 spots. I'll shoot this weekend and see if they're actually spots. I'll try to clean them off before contacting Nikon. I'm happy with my D600 and really don't want to switch, but if they can't resolve my problem, I'll be happy to take a D610. We shall see.

Fred Kingston

Alas... I have been half afraid to test for the proverbial dust spots for fear of finding them... Today, I could resist no more...and took the standard sky shot with the aperture closed all the way down...

:( sadly, it is bad... I filled out the paperwork, and have prep'd my camera to go to UPS tomorrow...

It was originally a refurb'd camera from Robert's Camera... and I have no clue why it was refurb'd or if it was just refurb'd as an open box through the dealer...

hrphotography

@ PTphoto ...... I am glad you asked!!! :)

i got mine replaced after 4 times. poor quality control and horrible customer service. They try to BS as much as possible. You have to be firm and consistent and a pain in the behind, only then they will exchange.

Do not let negative comments from some members here make you give up. When i first experienced this issue and asked for advise from other members, some of them were extremely unhelpful. Actually they kept posting that Nikon was right and i was wrong saying that D600 had a real defect. They still do that, i don't understand why.

If someone does not like a post why cant they just simply ignore it ????

anyways, best of luck. don't give up. I hope your lemon gets exchanged for D610 :)

Last edited:

PTphoto

@ PTphoto ...... I am glad you asked!!! :)

i got mine replaced after 4 times. poor quality control and horrible customer service. They try to BS as much as possible. You have to be firm and consistent and a pain in the behind, only then they will exchange.

Do not let negative comments from some members here make you give up. When i first experienced this issue and asked for advise from other members, some of them were extremely unhelpful. Actually they kept posting that Nikon was right and i was wrong saying that D600 had a real defect. They still do that, i don't understand why.

If someone does not like a post why cant they just simply ignore it ????

anyways, best of luck. don't give up. I hope your lemon gets exchanged for D610 :)

Thanks for the very good comments, rphotography, and very glad to hear of your receiving a replacement camera!

You must have seen the first couple replies to this post, and yes its better that this forum be a supportive one.
The D600 problem is very real for some of us, and we just want our camera, that is so excellent in every other respect, to be functional without producing flawed images.

The oil spots problem with the D600 is persistent. Mine is on its third trip to Nikon now. Each time it comes back clean, then it spots up again. My last trip got the shutter replacement. Upon receiving it I immediately put on my 28-300 Nikkor lens and never removed the lens, not even once! So, this rules out dust coming in from the outside. the spots that formed again, in the same pattern as before, clearly look more like oil than dust. Since Nikon put in a new shutter, I suspect that the oil must fling off from elsewhere, possibly the mirror mechanism.

Waiting now to get the email from Nikon to see what they do...

hrphotography

you are very welcome :)

they changed my shutter thrice but that did not fix the issue. I doubt it will fix yours, but they may have found a fix, who knows. once u get it back, take a couple of hundred shots and check. Be ready to send it back if spots return and ask for D610.

Best of luck :)

PTphoto

Third time was the charm!

On my spotty D600's third trip to Nikon in Melville, NY, they sent me a brand new shiny D610 today!
It even came with a new strap, battery, and charger...Sweet!

First shot was clear sky to check for spots---none (unlike many of the pics taken on the D600!).
Some of the D600's that people posted reviews about did not even start out clean, so at least this good start is hopeful for the new box. It was a bummer seeing spots on the pics taken on the Alaska trip we just came back from.

So, I've found out first hand...It's true! They'll make good on their bad D600's!
THANK YOU NIKON! Doing a good job of clearing your name in my book.

Thanks to those who responded, and to anyone who also wants to post that they got their replacement.

Sign me - Very Happy Now