Read this today... Truth

skene

While there was a plug at the end of it.. I think what they did say about the D700 is true.

Why the Legendary Nikon D700 DSLR Camera is Still Making History

It’s July 2014 and the Nikon D700 DSLR is six years old and it’s still one of the best cameras Nikon ever made – and it made, and continues to make, plenty of money for many professional photographers. Not only is it a proven workhorse, but also now has a new life as an excellent choice for first-time full-frame camera buyers as a refurbished, used camera capable of more years of rugged image making and outstanding image quality. When it was first introduced, the Nikon D700 didn’t drain the bank accounts of amateurs who were ready for FX photography, but also had the features and tough construction for a variety of professionals working in all kinds of dirty, wet, tough and competitive environments. The D700 does what every photographer dreams a camera will do: capture an acceptable image of any composed scene or subject; point the camera quickly and achieve almost instant focus; and maintain precise tracking of most any subject that flashes in front of the lens.
The fight over which camera has a sensor with the most pixels why that’s important has exhausted itself, as it is now clear that the great majority of photographers, even many pros, can capture great image quality with the 12.1 megapixels in the D700. With its large photo sites, the D700’s sensor create a very high signal-to-noise ratio and produces highly accurate color and above average dynamic range.
The usable ISO range of the D700 is much the same as the sensor’s capabilities: ISO 6,400 is spotless and 12,800 can be used if conditions require it and produce acceptable images. Greater ISO sensitivities aren’t actually important except for extreme photographic challenges.
A continuous shooting mode rating of 5 frames per second will work in most situations. Add the MB-D10 battery pack and the D700 jumps to 8fps, which is as much or more as anyone would need.

Photographers have an equal amount of praise for many of the D700’s control features. It’s easy to review image sharpness with a press of the multi-selector center button for quick views of playback images. The command dial makes it possible to move back and forth from the same magnified point on multiple images.
There’s nothing ancient about the D700’s auto-focus system either, with 51 focus points and 15 cross-type sensors. Single point focus is possible from either 51 or 11 points and AF fine tuning is another sub-feature that has always been a big help for photographers shooting with fast lenses.
Versatility is also a key benefit of the Nikon D700, as it accepts Nikon DX lenses to give you more focal length when needed and the viewfinder automatically converts to the DX scale.
The D700 also alleviates photographers of another important worry: power drain. You can shoot all day and capture 1,000+ images with just one EN-EL3e battery. Add the grip and an EN-EL4e battery and now you have 5 times the number of images.

Here is the plug part...

So, what does all of this mean six years on? Simply that the Nikon D700 is far from retirement and a properly refurbished used camera purchased from a trusted company, such as KEH, will be the right learning aid for many students and be a more affordable option for enthusiasts and hobbyists who are serious about becoming full-frame photographer.

Visit KEH today to learn more about why it is as legendary as the Nikon D700 for reliability, professionalism and support of any used equipment you buy from the company.

Bill16

I would have liked it better without the plug, because the plug makes you think of all the stuff left out of it. This is great for the positives, but doesn't talk to what it lacks these days, giving us a more true picture. The plug makes it all just an ad to me, and I'm not against the D700. What a story leaves out can often be more telling than what it has in it.

But I'm still likely going to get a D700, due to cost being doable and the D700 is still a good camera despite what it lacks in new tech. :)

ShootRaw

Bill, save your $$$ and sell a camera or two...I have a guy that I have purchased 2 of my lens from looking you a D700...On average I have saved $300 per lens which were in mint condition...Stay Tuned...

Bill16

Wow!!
That's sooooo awesome of you buddy! But regrettably I only have two Nikon's now since I had to sell the rest, and it will take me a long time to save up the money for a D700. So I don't see anyway right now that I could make use of your wonderful help my friend.

Bill, save your $$$ and sell a camera or two...I have a guy that I have purchased 2 of my lens from looking you a D700...On average I have saved $300 per lens which were in mint condition...Stay Tuned...

skene

I would have liked it better without the plug, because the plug makes you think of all the stuff left out of it. This is great for the positives, but doesn't talk to what it lacks these days, giving us a more true picture. The plug makes it all just an ad to me, and I'm not against the D700. What a story leaves out can often be more telling than what it has in it.

But I'm still likely going to get a D700, due to cost being doable and the D700 is still a good camera despite what it lacks in new tech. :)

Well Bill, I really think that they pretty much said everything that needs to be said. It's a 6 year old camera.... What shortcomings can there be when you are dealing with older tech? Sure it may not have the high range ISO that the D3/4s have... but you have a full frame camera that would do everything that it's newer brethren can do without the excessive MP (alas without maybe shooting at that higher ISO as well) or doing video. But it was more than likely a plug for KEH trying to sell off their excessive stock of D700s. :p

Bill16

See you said it right! :D You didn't sugar coat it! Way to go buddy! :D

Well Bill, I really think that they pretty much said everything that needs to be said. It's a 6 year old camera.... What shortcomings can there be when you are dealing with older tech? Sure it may not have the high range ISO that the D3/4s have... but you have a full frame camera that would do everything that it's newer brethren can do without the excessive MP (alas without maybe shooting at that higher ISO as well) or doing video. But it was more than likely a plug for KEH trying to sell off their excessive stock of D700s. :p

Bill16

I don't remember that part of the D300 specs, but I've been looking at the D700 specs more recently and it's true about it's viewfinder coverage. Likely due to it's using practically the same frame as a DX, since a lot of stuff is interchangeable between the D300 and the D700.

But that is just my guess. Lol :)

Got curious about all this D700 talk so I looked it up. 95% viewfinder coverage when the D300 has a 100%? Is this right?

skene

D700 released on the old D300 which was also 95%... D300s they improved and went with a 100% or rather 99.blah blah blah%

Bill there is however nothing to sugarcoat. You can't compare apples and oranges... new vs old. That's like saying my Sony tube tv was the most expensive thing around in 1996 and has all there was to offer at the time. The D700 could easily say the same.

Bill16

OK! :) I still like the way you stated it better! Without the ad feel! Lol :p

D700 released on the old D300 which was also 95%... D300s they improved and went with a 100% or rather 99.blah blah blah%

Bill there is however nothing to sugarcoat. You can't compare apples and oranges... new vs old. That's like saying my Sony tube tv was the most expensive thing around in 1996 and has all there was to offer at the time. The D700 could easily say the same.

Blacktop

Sorry but no. The D300 has 100% viewfinder coverage with a 0.94 magnification, opposed to the D700 95% coverage with a magnification of 0.72

Something to take into consideration.

Last edited:

Bill16

I think part of what your liking Pete is the pentaprism viewfinder vs the mirror box type my friend. It's a lot better and one of the great perks of the D300/300s over the D3100. :)

Blacktop

I think part of what your liking Pete is the pentaprism viewfinder vs the mirror box type my friend. It's a lot better and one of the great perks of the D300/300s over the D3100. :)

True, but also seeing 100% of the shot that you are taking helps as well.:cool:

hrstrat57

Again repeating the same concept ad nauseam but FWIW somebody other than we happy few thinks this old tech is still good....

Best Buy as of tonight still selling new D300s....

$1700!!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d300s-digital-slr-camera-body-only-black/9457349.p?id=1218108029338&skuId=9457349&st=categoryid$pcmcat180000050013&cp=1&lp=13

Bill16

I can't say about the D700 never having used one, but I have no doubt at all about the D300 being an awesome camera! I'm loving it and I have no plans of ever getting rid of it either. I let all my other DSLRs go, but this one I just can't bare to part with! I honestly think Nikon ought to keep this design and just fill it with new tech without changing what makes it so great. Keep it mostly the way it is and just put in a new sensor and such and put it back out as say a D310 or something.
I'm very much hoping that the D700 is just like the D300 in pro feel and function, since that will likely be the next body I get, when I somehow save up the cash that is! lol :)

skene

The D700 is a very feely camera. It feels like the D300 body. Works like a camera. Has a FF sensor. Takes pictures. Yeah I think no matter what you would like it Bill. :p