Little question..

DeeElleAych

So, I have a D3000 and I was wondering if I were to upgrade the camera body lets say to a D7000 or D5000 is the kit lens (18-55mm) from the D3000 compatible with newer bodies?
Sorry if it's a silly question!
:) :)

Bill16

Your very welcome. :D It would work the same with all DX model Nikon's. It would also work on FX Nikon's, but it would restrict the field of view due to it's being designed to fit the DX cropped sensor.
So you could get any of the new DX Nikon models and still use that lens if you like. :)

Thanks Bill.
out of curiosity what would be the newest body the lens would be compatible with?

fotojack

DLH....just so you understand...the D3000 and D5000 do not have a built in focus motor, so you need AF-S lenses for those cameras to Auto Focus. The d7000, however, does have the built in focus motor, so other Nikkor lenses will auto focus....such as AF and AI lenses. It this a bit clearer for you? :)

DeeElleAych

Thanks, I don't mean to sound stupid or ask silly questions I'm just still trying to wrap my head around some of this technical stuff :/

DLH....just so you understand...the D3000 and D5000 do not have a built in focus motor, so you need AF-S lenses for those cameras to Auto Focus. The d7000, however, does have the built in focus motor, so other Nikkor lenses will auto focus....such as AF and AI lenses. It this a bit clearer for you? :)