Indian Wedding - Mehndi Seremony

aroy

A Bengali Hindu wedding is an elaborate affair. In the days gone by when life was not the fast paced affair it is today, the affair could carry on for a week. Today the number of ceremonies have come down; except for the very rich, who can afford a week long affair;, but it is still an elaborate affair. From the brides side there are a few core ceremonies
. Engagement
. Last formal lunch to the bride by her parents
. Menhdi ceremony
. Marriage
. Reception by the groom
This marriage is of our friend's daughter. The formal lunch is an all ladies affair, so I missed it out. Mehndi is a ceremony for ladies post lunch, followed by dinner for all. So I reached the venue in the evening. I took my camera and the 35mm F1.8 lense. A lot of photographs were taken. I have partitioned them subject wise.
. Venue
. Mehndi
. Dance
. Food
. Portraits
. and photographers

This shoot, I am investigating the feasibility of shooting at F1.8 without flash. I did most of my flash less shots at ISO 400, but in hind sight ISO 800 would have given me faster shutter speed and less subject shake.
PART 1. - The venue

DSC_9060.jpg
The Entrance

DSC_9064.jpg
The Gate

DSC_9065.jpg
Lighting

Last edited:

aroy

2. Mehndi.

Here an artisan, applies colour derived from the Mehndi plant. The paste may be natural colour which is orange, or vegetable colours are added to create various hues.

DSC_9023.jpg
The Mehndi paste ready in conical pods, same as the icing bags.

The rest of the images show the artisans creating various designs.
DSC_9025.jpg

DSC_9026.jpg

DSC_9027.jpg

DSC_9029.jpg

DSC_9031.jpg

DSC_9032.jpg

DSC_9033.jpg

DSC_9034.jpg

DSC_9079.jpg

DSC_9109.jpg

DSC_9110.jpg

DSC_9111.jpg

Last edited:

aroy

2. Mendi - The designs

After the paste is applied it is left on the hands for some time. Then the paste is cleaned with oil. No water should touch the hands. The initial colour is light orange, but within half a day it will turn deep orange and remain for at least a week.

DSC_9008.jpg

DSC_9024.jpg
Paste cleaned up.

DSC_9030.jpg

DSC_9042.jpg

DSC_9043.jpg

DSC_9048.jpg

DSC_9049.jpg

DSC_9072.jpg

DSC_9073.jpg

Moab Man

I love the, forgive my crudeness for lack of the correct word, tattooing art. The intricate designs are just fascinating to look at and beautiful.

aroy

It is past midnight, so I will post just the Dance images. These are all at F1.8 without flash.
3. Dance

DSC_9012.jpg

DSC_9036.jpg

DSC_9035.jpg

DSC_9022.jpg

DSC_9018.jpg

DSC_9017.jpg

DSC_9014.jpg

DSC_9013.jpg

DSC_9054.jpg
The console

DSC_9102.jpg
DJ's

aroy

3. Photographers.

One must not ignore the professionals. We are doing it for the fun of it, for them it is bread and butter.

DSC_9021.jpg

DSC_9058.jpg

DSC_9074.jpg

DSC_9075.jpg

rocketman122

wow, interesting to look at. exposure wise, some are ok, but many seem to be under exposed. between 1/2- to even a stop in a few. btw, do women also draw the mehndi or only men are allowed?

hrstrat57

Nice to see a wedding guest not disrupting the pros with a blazing flash, exactly how I play it shooting indoors at a wedding if not getting paid. As a guest it is all about capturing the mood and staying out of the way IMHO. OP nice job here! Nice set really enjoyed that!

aroy

wow, interesting to look at. exposure wise, some are ok, but many seem to be under exposed. between 1/2- to even a stop in a few. btw, do women also draw the mehndi or only men are allowed?

1. I was trying out F1.8 at ISO 400 without flash. Some how I had left the compensation at -1.3EV. By the end I had got it right. But ISO 400 was too low, tomorrow during marriage, I will try ISO 800 to reduce shake. The D3300 sensor has a lee way of at least 4EV of shadows and 1EV of highlights, so if you feel it is under exposed then I can pull it up more.

2. Never seen a woman artisan. Most of the artisans in India; excepting dancers and singers; are traditionally men.

aroy

Nice to see a wedding guest not disrupting the pros with a blazing flash, exactly how I play it shooting indoors at a wedding if not getting paid. As a guest it is all about capturing the mood and staying out of the way IMHO. OP nice job here! Nice set really enjoyed that!

Shooting without a flash is invigorating. Even though I have 2 x SB700, I hate using them as not only do they spoil the balance they are heavier than my D3300. If I can get away without flash all the better. But DOF at F1.8 is quite low, so for group shots I need to use the flash.
I have been trying out high ISO. In daylight I see noise in my images, but here at night at F1.8 I see no noise. Have to figure out what is going on. Any way, tomorrow is the marriage. If I take my camera I will try ISO 800.

hrstrat57

FWIW (probably not much ha ha) I attended a wedding Friday evening, and the lighting was pretty similar it looks like as to what you experienced here.

I walked around with 50 1.4D AF and Nikon D300 and got a decent percentage of keepers at ISO 640/f1.4-f2.8. I don't have permission to post anything and I only took about 10 pics indoors. I took about 25 or so outside in the "gold hour light" which is where we all lurk the best!

I am looking forward to the D700 where I expect to bump up the ISO quite a bit in situations like this and continue shooting stealth!

Story, one obnoxious guest was on the dance floor (with a Canon DSLR of course!!) and had the pop up blazing during the father / daughter dance. One of the working pros actually had to gently shove her out the way to get the shot she was getting paid to take(the pro of course apologized to the guest)

IMO not a very good guest.....

Well done, you do a nice job!

Last edited:

aroy

4. The food. These shots have not come out well, still I am showing them for the atmosphere

DSC_9057.jpg
View of the table

DSC_9083.jpg
Sweets

DSC_9087.jpg
Biryani

DSC_9088.jpg
Rice

DSC_9107.jpg
Guest enjoying it

aroy

5. People. Friends and acquaintances

DSC_9010.jpg
My friend - Bride's father
DSC_9121.jpg
Friend's wife

DSC_9118.jpg
Coloured by the disco lights

DSC_9117.jpg

DSC_9116.jpg

DSC_9115.jpg
Bride's Parents (left)

DSC_9091.jpg
Bride's Mother

DSC_9081.jpg
Friend

DSC_9077.jpg
Bride's Grandmother

DSC_9067.jpg
Friend's wife

DSC_9050.jpg
Bride's Father

DSC_9047.jpg
My Wife

DSC_9037.jpg

DSC_9123.jpg

DSC_9125.jpg
The bride. F1.8 has really isolated her.