Choices.. for a gift re: d5100

Sevenup

I am very pleased with my D7000.

I initially got a D5100, which my almost 18yo son loved. But I took it back and got the 7000.

So hes turning 18 and I was looking around and thinking of getting him set up with something a step lower/easier.
Since its his 18th birthday gift I feel a little funny about going used.

I found 5100 w/ 18-55 and 55-200 lenses for $499 on clearance, unopened box @ Walmart.
(I'm leary of buying @ WM, do manufacturers make products of varying quality and sell a lesser quality there?)
I can't find the link now, maybe because I grabbed it and brought it home and it was the last one?
I figured I'd rather figure out of If I should return it or if it was steal at home instead of constant googling on Amazon and B&H and trying to view Nikonites from my cell phone :D

(I really like that we can share/swap stuff now that he will be on board and I'll have access to an extra body ;) )

Can I do better, new, for that price range? I really can't go higher.

I'd appreciate helpful thoughts :)

rocketman122

thats a god damn deal! I would feel bad im ripping them off haha..but its walmart, so no I wouldnt. I dont like walmarts business tactics but thats something else.

dont let him see what pro zooms/primes can do, then youll be screwed and basically you shot yourself in the foot haha

Sevenup

TYSM Hark! I was just about to open it after I got some feedback from y'all to check the actuation.

I'm so glad everyone thinks its a great deal too.. I did bring it home, but I needed to check, I kept thinking.. this is too good to be true, and I'm in Walmart. Those things just shouldn't be in the same sentence :D

Sevenup

I was just going to check the actuations in the camera, is that not reliable? (if its returned can the manufacturer wipe out that screen?)

And for $43 I added WM warranty for 3 years... I would have to pay shipping to Nikon but they fix it. I sure hope *that* wasn't a waste of money, but compared to 500 bucks, it seemed ok. I've been VERY happy with Sam's Club warranty services over the years so I'm hoping WM will be in line with that.

weebee

Even with non-vr lenses you are still getting a very good deal. I would wait to see the shutter count before you draw judgement. Do a search for D5100 body only and you'll see you are still ahead of the game.