Did the D3300 originally have an articulating screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the D3300 had an articulating screen a few weeks ago when I went into Curries in town. Now it doesn't. What's that all about?

I was peeved that I hadn't waited and spent a further £40 for the latest model with the articulating screen (I bought the D3200) and I'm 99% positive the one in the store had one. The store assistant reckons I was confused but I don't think so.

Was this model originally produced with an articulating screen and then they changed the specs? The tag says it originally cost about £580 and was reduced considerably to about £370.

They sometimes do this kind of thing, does anyone know?

I wish I had an articulating screen. If anyone is considering buying a camera think carefully about this feature and whether or not you will need it. Depending on what angle you are taking photos at or how high/low your tripod is if you are using one you might find this an invaluable feature.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

The D5300 has an articulating display, but I'm not aware of the D3300 ever having one. For the price difference, are you sure you didn't confuse the two models?

This theory has already been proposed and challenged by my astute memory of that day I walked into Curries and picked up a camera with D3300 written on the front and a nice articulating screen at the back, much to my chagrin. I'd like think I made a mistake, however think not and still want to go back in time and buy a D3300 with an articulating screen.

Oh so you were both there that day and you all know for 100% there wasn't a change in the original design then.

Anyone got one with the articulating screen?

Blacktop

You're right. What probably happened was that Nikon actually made 1 D3300 with an articulating screen, then placed it in that particular camera store knowing that you're going to walk in there and pick it up. Then pulled it the next day just to f****k with you.

Horoscope Fish

Oh so you were both there that day and you all know for 100% there wasn't a change in the original design then.

Anyone got one with the articulating screen?
Not sure how else to put what has already been plainly said but the simple fact is the D3300, as released on the open market, has never had an articulating LCD.

Believe what you like but I had a camera that said D3300 on the front and an articulating screen on the back in my hand for about 15 minutes. I did not make a mistake. Sometimes they change the design of things? Thanks for the sarcasm though anyway.

You're right. What probably happened was that Nikon actually made 1 D3300 with an articulating screen, then placed it in that particular camera store knowing that you're going to walk in there and pick it up. Then pulled it the next day just to f****k with you.

How do you explain the drop in price from £580 to £370 then?

RocketCowboy

Nope, I surely wasn't there with you that day to see what you picked up with an articulating screen. My intent was not to add sarcasm, only trying to be helpful.

D3*** series never had an articulating screen
D5*** series has...atleast the 5100,5200,5300 model

Of course, because repeating something over and over again makes it true!

There is the theory that the store, rather than using a new D3300 for the display, they used an old D5200 and switched the number on it somehow. The D3200 I bought in the store in PC World had the wrong lens on it so maybe they are a bit sloppy with their display models.

Anyway, believe what you like. I was hoping for maybe at least the benefit of the doubt here and perhaps some time for someone to come along and confirm that the D3300 was originally produced with an articulating screen but it was maybe dropped because no-one wanted to buy the more expensive D5*** range anymore.

Whatever, no-one ever listens to me anyway, I'm crazy.

Nope, I surely wasn't there with you that day to see what you picked up with an articulating screen. My intent was not to add sarcasm, only trying to be helpful.

Were you sarcastic? No. Therefore, I wasn't referring to you in that comment.

I appreciate the help, but seriously can we just go with the theory that I am right about this particular camera in the store that day and go with that?

Another theory. Maybe it was a one off/one off batch that were made in error and they used them for display models. This also happens sometimes.

traceyjj

Currys sometime have models of items not for sale anywhere else. When I owned Olympus DSLRs currys had a different model to any other shop, with different features... not sure what else to suggest though.

Currys sometime have models of items not for sale anywhere else. When I owned Olympus DSLRs currys had a different model to any other shop, with different features... not sure what else to suggest though.

Cheers. Maybe someone will be able to confirm there was a D3300 with the art screen. Maybe someone has one? I wish I did.

I know the easy and most obvious answer to this is no there has never been... but the whole point of this thread is because I think, I'm pretty certain there was and hence I am looking for anyone out there who might know something about it.

AC016

I follow Nikon very closely and when the D3300 was being "thought up", there was absolutely no indication of a tilt/swivel screen in the rumor mills. Even the folks who reviewed pre-production models never mentioned a tilt/swivel screen. I really can't see Nikon manufacturing a handful of D3300 with tilt/swivel screen then all of a sudden, re-design, re-tool to start making them without. There is no logic to it.

"Of course, because repeating something over and over again makes it true!" Seems like you have told yourself you saw a D3300 with a tilt/swivel screen enough times then...

Why don't you go back to the store and ask about the camera then? It would be interesting to know how they respond.

We will forgive you for mistaking a D5300 for a D3300. Innocent mistake ;)

aroy

The fact that the one with articulate screen was quite more expensive points to its being D5300. Now where D3300 was noticed is what matters. If it was on the body embossed in Gold, then you have a point. If the lable was on the stand then the store just printed the wrong lable (but the right price).

Starting from Nikon Rumors, to Nikon official news, there never was any indication that the D3300 would come with an articulate display. That was for the D5xxx series only, and on no other series in past and in current production.

Bill16

Have you checked out the D5xxx series? Maybe you'd be happier with one of them. I had both the D3100 and the D5100, and the D5xxx series would give you what your wanting plus some other real nice perks. Or is this just about the mystery of this that really interests you? As far as prices go stores often get tags and display prices mixed up or with typos.

But yes it is much much easier for me to believe you thought you saw a 3 when it was really a 5 and that would explain the price change from higher when you first saw it to lower when you next saw it.

Anyway I hope you'll find the camera that makes photography fun for you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.