Strange image noise

John Braden

The card I used is a Transcend SDXC 64GB 300x in this example, but it has also happened on my SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC. Out of 7000 photos, this has happened to me about 30 times. Sometimes it's just like this example, but other times it seems like the vertical hold on your old television went out of whack and got three frames in one. Has this happened to anyone before? It doesn't show up on the RAW version of the shot. I'm stumped, but then again, I get easily stumped with DSLRs.... lol DSC_0376.jpg

WayneF

Do the images look like that on the rear LCD while in the camera? I suspect not, which would say the image file is OK, and probably the card, and thus implies a problem during download transfer. If not the card, maybe suspect the card reader.

But such problems are rare, but not totally unknown.... and sometimes, just reading the files again from the card works OK. Which would just support the above theory. :)

Last edited:

John Braden

Thanks Wayne! Unfortunately, I don't see the problem on the LCD, and bigger yet, when I transfer to a portable HD, I tell the transfer program to delete the files when done. Perhaps I should wait to see all the photos beforehand. i also could make a jpeg from the RAW version too. I'm just glad it's not the camera itself!

WayneF

It does seem a good idea to view the copied files before you delete them, to be sure you have them. And then, the recommended way to delete them is to format the card in the camera. Format in the camera is the proper and easiest and fastest and best way to delete all files, because it resets the card file system. A quick format is no big deal, instead it is good for the card.

I don't know the cause of the scrambled files, but I have seen it too, only a few times, from a SD card out of the wifes little Canon compact camera. Rereading just those few bad files from the card always worked then, and the problem has disappeared after new card reader seemed to solve it. The camera and card are still going strong.

It's not hard to find several similar reports of scrambled JPG files on the web, and no one has an answer. Or rather, there are always the usual no-clue responses offered, but no one actually knows anything. Me neither, but my suspicion is the card reader, at least it worked for me.

Both your cards are newer UHS-1 cards (faster), and if your card reader is old or cheap, it might not be as modern. And a new USB 3.0 reader will a lot faster than an old one too. :) (unless of course the destination is only a USB 2.0 drive).

But I still contend that if the camera can always show the files, there isn't much wrong yet at that point.

Last edited:

aroy

I always use USB to copy files using the OS. I also keep the images on the card till I have processed then and saved both the RAW and the resultant jpeg. Normally I keep filling the card till the battery runs out (about 350 RAW images on my D3300), even though my 32GB card can hold over 1600 RAW images.

skater

My D70 will sometimes kill pictures in this way, too. I've never been able to figure it out. In my case it will do it regardless of card used. It's extremely rare, though. Even when it was my only body it might happen once or twice a year.