Centered on Centering?

John Braden

EXIF
Camera: Nikon D5300
Exposure: 1/32 @ f/5.3
Focal length: 85mm
ISO: 400
Lens: Nikkor 18-140mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED

My first two weeks with a DSLR (D5300) had me in Japan for my learning/proving grounds. I always used a point-and-shoot camera in the past (Canon) and I decided to get a DLSR. I often sat in wonderment of the basics of photography-Aperture Priority and I wanted to shoot a subject with other items in the photo out of focus. I know it's one of the most basic "effects" but, to me, it was something that excited me about photography. I wasn't aware of the "neutral setting" of the sharpness on the D5300 when I took this.

I tried the center the main subject, the torii gate, in the center with some vegetation and a stone lantern on the peripheries to "frame" the subject, per se. I haven't altered the photo in any way but I wonder if using software to perhaps sharpen or add more color to make the water more blue or the torii more vermillion would make it better. I am such a beginner, I don't know what professional or advanced amateur photographers "see". I welcome any and ALL critiques. No matter how small, even if it's to say I should have waited for the ferry to get out of the background!
DSC_0330.jpg
Itsukushima Shrine torii, Miyajima, Hiroshima 5/13/14 09:21:28am

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
You did a pretty good job of getting your main focus, the Tori Gate, however if it were me I would ditch the rock on the left. For me it really distracts from your main subject. It looks like something accidentally got between you and your subject instead of a framing anchor. I am finding that the secret is to keep shooting. I am a rank amateur with the DSLR too, but like you am trying different things.

wev

Contributor
The shot is basically good, but I think you tried too hard. The torii is visually strong enough on its own; you don't need to frame it with the stone on the left, which is just distraction, since you can't really figure out what it is or why it is there. The bit of foreground branch and the far shore give you all you need to place the main subject. In the image below (and begging your pardon), I removed (very crudely) the rock, recropped to emphasize the gate, and fiddle the color a touch by subtracting some green and upping the saturation. But everyone here 'sees' in a different way and so processes their images to their own eye alone, which is what I have done here. I certainly make no claim to be more than passing good at it and others may snort and offer a much better opinion.

lahkbgfv.jpg

The ferry doesn't bother me at all.

John Braden

Thank you for your editing of the photo to show me. I don't mind at all. I have another shot, not as zoomed, that shows more of the stone lantern. Maybe showing more can aid in identifying what it is. But if you feel the foreground is busy, I can understand! Thank your for the constructive criticism!

The ferry doesn't bother me at all.

LOL!

RON_RIP

I think Wev has strenthened the composition for you. As to color, only you would know how the colors appeared to you and that is what you should shoot for in post processing. I think you already know the answer that you framed as a question in your original post. And just let me add that is my favorite torii gate and I welcome your photo of it.