Any SB400 User opinions?

Rick M

I'm thinking of picking up a SB400 prior to going on vacation. I really like the SB700, but with travel plans it makes sense to get the 400 first. Any issues with the 400?

Thanks, Rick

Obir

I'm thinking of picking up a SB400 prior to going on vacation. I really like the SB700, but with travel plans it makes sense to get the 400 first. Any issues with the 400?

Thanks, Rick

Hi Rick,

I got my SB400 with the same thought in mind. Wanted something as small and light as possible.
Love the fact that it only takes two AA batteries (that seem to last forever) and I don't drain the camera's battery by using the built-in. I use it mostly for portraits indoors (bounced) but I'm starting to use outdoors too for fill-in. No issues so far after 3 or 4 mos. of use. Very simple to use...only one on-off button on the back. Can't be triggered remotely like the SB700 though. It stays mounted on the camera 100% of the time, but would fit in my pocket if I need to take off. It's cheap too:D

Rick M

Thanks Obir, good info. What started me thinking about a flash was for outdoor fill-in. I took some shots outside using the onboard flash at about 30 feet and it was not effective. What would you say is the effective outside range? I've read the stats, but experience is far better.

Obir

Imho, I think the range of 66ft is an overstatement, but this might just be my limited experience.
I've attached a picture to give you an idea. The tree on the right is (guessing) about 30 to 35 ft away. Notice the fill on the top branches. No PP done except for crop.
Another thing to note is that the flash tilts vertically, but not horizontally. This means I need to be close to a wall if I want to use bounce flash while shooting in portrait orientation.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC_0789Rev.JPG
    DSC_0789Rev.JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 309

Rick M

Thanks Eduard, I'm definitly getting an SB400, Wondering now if it is going to be redesigned although it sounds like it is great for what it was intended for. I just wanted to make sure it had a little more range than the onboard flash.

Carolina Photo Guy

My SB400 started life on a N65, moved to a D70 and will now be perched on a D3100 later this afternoon.
That should tell you something about the longevity of this flash.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Carolina Photo Guy

Yeah, all that exercise is finally starting to pay off.

Hey, guess what??

My new D3100 is here already!!!
I am charging the battery as I type and am getting ready to view the DVDs that came with it.

Those of you out there that are thinking of getting the D3100 should really look into Costco.
Body, 2 VR lenses, battery & charger, 4 gig sd card, camera bag for everything and strap costs me $729.00 plus tax. Shipping was free and fast. I ordered it on Saturday and got it this morning.

Just a thought.

Pete