Tamron 90mm f2.8 VS Nikon 85mm f1.8D Lens

Bryan Chung

Just looking for advice on which is better. I'll be taking more portraits most of the time, but once in a while will be taking macros, too...in terms of IQ which is better?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ranie

Hi Bryan - I love to take portraits and I also have an 85 F1.8. I don't have or tried a Tamron 90mm F2.8 but I'm sure both lenses have their own strong points. I'm really happy with my 85mm and would recommend it to you for shooting portraits. For macro, what I have is a Nikon 60mm F2.8 micro which at times I also use to take portraits. The 60mm also take great portrait pics. I would suggest, if you could try both lenses first and see what suits you best.

One more thing, in the 90-105mm range of macro lenses, aside from the main brands (Nikon/Canon), the best 3rd party lens you can get is the Tokina AT-X M100AF PRO D 100mm F2.8 macro Tokina. I have tried this awesome lens and it really performs.
Quoting Ken Rockwell on this lens, he said "
This Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro is a fantastic lens.​
It's optical performance is as good or better than the best from Nikon and Canon, and this Tokina's ergonomics, due to its unique focus clutch, is also better than any of Nikon's or Canon's 100mm or 105mm macro lenses.​
All this, and this Tokina is less than half the price, just as well built, and smaller and lighter than any other 100mm or 105mm AF macro. Go get one!
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro AT-X PRO D AF