Feeling like a fool/shutter slow and high D7000

Leslie

Hi, I am fairly new to using shutter speeds and usually just use the aperture setting. I am taking a 'boot camp' for 8 weeks and just can't figure out the the high and low shutter speed number. Any help is much appreciated. I feel way less confident now :(

Lawrence

What's there to figure out?
Just play around and see the different effects of the various speeds

High speed for action - when you want to freeze it: sports, birds, kids, pets etc
Low speed for long exposure such as in night shots or when you want create blur on action shots. Also used where subject is stationery such as buildings etc.
Enjoy the boot camp

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Leslie, are you possibly talking about how the shutter speeds are displayed in the viewfinder? Or are you just confused on which setting to use for a particular picture type? Lawrence pretty much answered the second question. Ha!

Lawrence

Leslie, are you possibly talking about how the shutter speeds are displayed in the viewfinder? Or are you just confused on which setting to use for a particular picture type? Lawrence pretty much answered the second question. Ha!

Yeah I thought about my answer after I hit "post Quick Reply" and realise it may be wrong as I don't know the camera. Sorry if that is the case.

BackdoorArts

You want your shutter speed to be at least as fast as your focal length. In other words...

28mm - at least 1/28sec
50mm - at least 1/50sec
200mm - at least 1/200sec

When using Aperture mode the shutter speed is set to meter correctly for a given ISO. If you have a fixed ISO, say ISO 100, then the camera will likely set the speed slower than what you want unless you are in bright light, particularly if aperture is set for more depth of field. However, setting the ISO too high, while it will almost always get you a good shutter speed, will likely give you more noise in your photo than you want.

Given your level of experience I would say your best bet right now is to turn on the Auto ISO function on your camera, and set the max ISO to, say, 1600 (depending on the camera it could go higher) and the current ISO to 100. This way, the camera will choose an ISO setting that will allow the shutter speed for a given aperture to match that of the focal length (if you have a 50mm it will shoot at 1/60sec or faster) by raising the ISO to the minimum level that will allow for that. This could give you more noise in your photo than you might want, but better to have a crisp photo with noise than a blurred one without it.

Texaswicked1

You and I use the same body. The shutter speed number is the number in the lower LH corner of your viewfinder view.

You are not changing ISO when you rotate the dial, only shutter speed. Shutter speed has nothing to do with ISO. The ISO number is on the lower RH corner of the viewfinder.

While it's true you do use the same dial to change the ISO, you have to hold the "ISO" button in while you rotate it.

Having high ISO will provide you with very noisy images. You can correct some of it in post, but it doesn't eliminate all the noisy, only softens it.

If you're looking through your viewfinder, you will see this display directly underneath the view of what you're framing to shoot...

D7000_viewfinder_display.jpg" height="83" width="340

#6 is the shtter speed number. #7 is your aperture (f) number. #10 is your ISO.

If you want to set your shutter speed to, say, 6 seconds (i.e. your shutter stays open for 6 seconds), turn the main dial to the left until it reads -6"[/FONT]-. Make sure it has the ("[/FONT]) after the 6, denoting "seconds." If it doesn't have the seconds symbol after the number 6, your shutter speed is 1/6th of a second, not 6 seconds. Remember what I was telling you about looking for the "[/FONT] symbol. Remember, turning the dial to the left slows down the shutter and turning it to the right speeds it up.

As long as you're either in manual or shutter priority and as long as you're not holding down any other button at the same time, turning the main dial ONLY adjusts shutter speed. To adjust ISO, you have to hold down the "ISO" button at the same time you rotate the main dial.