Station Masters Bike

Carper

hi all first post ive done on here so please be kind . I took this photo at Williton Station in Somerset . It is the oldest steam railway in the country . I was trying to bring the photo back to an oldie worldie type shot . Please veiw and see what you all think.........thanks
Mode..Aperture
Lens..18-55mm
NXVeiw2

Attachments

• DSC_6891.jpg
    DSC_6891.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 120

Rick M

Hi Carper! Nice subject mater. From a composition perspective, leave room for potential motion in front of the subject, not behind it. The sky is a bit blown out, it is usually difficult to balance contrast in B&W. Subject wise, isolate it more, the street lamp adds nothing and actually amplifies the distortion. Likewise with the plant/pot to the left. You do have a nice shooting angle on the subject, nice perspective!

Keep shooting, you will learn more with every shot! :)

Horoscope Fish

I like the shot; I like that you've gone B&W on it as well.

Rick pretty much nailed everything I would have pointed out: Edges and corners will kill a shot if you're not careful and removing that flower pot and lamp post will give the shot more power. I'd like to see more "head room" for the bike to be coming into the shot as well, but it looks like you opted to put the fence in the shot in a big way and create a strong line instead. Looking at what you had to work with, I can get behind that. I would like to see, maybe, a tiny bit more foreground for that front tire to be resting on but that's pretty much a nit-pick.