Tamron 90mm f2.8 VS Nikon 85mm f1.8D Macro Lens

Bryan Chung

Hi everyone,

I'm actually looking forward to get my first macro lens but i'm not so sure as i've read a lot of reviews abt these 2 lens. Which one is actually better by not getting into the aperture and focal distance?

Help me
Thx:confused:

LensWork

The 85mm f/1.8D is not a macro lens. The closest comparison to the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro would be the AF-S DX Micro 85mm f/3.5G ED VR .

Edit:

Which one is actually better by not getting into the aperture and focal distance?

If by this you mean you understand that the Nikon f/1.8D is faster and will not focus as close, but you want a comparison of these two lenses anyways, please disregard my reply above.

Last edited:

Bryan Chung

oops...sorry i should clarify i would like to hv both macro and potraits even though potraits will be my 1st compared to macro taken once in a while

markD90

i have read and heard the 50mm 2.8 is good for both pertraits and macro!!!! take your pick....... i also heard when reviewing other lens's that tamron can be soft......so i do prefer Sigma (my 10-20 sigma is sharp) or Nikkor (expensive)

DaveH

Just my 2 peneth worth, but I have the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and it's an excellent lens (sharp as a tack). It's definitely different to shoot macro, but it can be very rewarding when you pull off a good shot! The only thing is that now I want to get even closer :)

Bryan Chung

actually i already own a 50mm 1.8 lens i know its real good for potraits, macro wise i've tried but not very successful as it is not long enough

evan

Banned
the tamron is a great, pin sharp lens no doubt about it, but the en272 model, (with built in motor) is known to have an annoying issue with the d90. it sometimes gives a false low battery warning preventing use. it also extends about three inches to get minimum focus distance, so when it hunts in low light, (noisily), can scare subjects like insects. get a used nikon 105 or 60mm micro. better still, the sigma 150mm. alternatively a raynox dcr250:cool: on the 50mm 1.8 nikon is a good cheap intro to the world of macro. i know as i have all these apart from the 105.

Last edited:

Pierro

I'll stick my oar in and tell you the older Tammy f2.5 90mm Macro is a beaut. I used this with my Pentax bodies till i moved to Canon ( not anymore ! ) and simply bought another adapter so i could carry on using it.

Unlike the 2.8 Tammy, the 2.5 is only 1:2, but a 50mm extension tube, or 2x TC will take that to true macro 1:1. I will post photos I shot with this lens when i get back home tomorrow evening. Its a damn cheap lens too compared to the others

Pierro

The Exif is a bit funky , probably due to the Adaptall EOS adapter. Its not reading right, whatever the problem was.. but you can see the very shallow DOF on the Hoverfly, because i was hand holding the shot, so had to keep shutter speed up. Especially for the Hoverfly, as it never stopped moving. The spider and bug were much easier to hand hold the shots as they were fairly still. Not magnificent, but the quality is there, if you can imagine this lens in the hands of someone with vastly more talent than myself

t33ly741jr.jpg

dsmtllpwab.jpg

emhbki5wev.jpg

Last edited: