Image Sensor Dirt

zutty

This might seem silly, but I've changed lenses on my new D810 about 3 times and on the last shoot I took a shot of the clear sky with my 70-200 2.8 VRII at f22, out of focus in order to check for dirt on the sensor. There was one (count em) one piece that I saw at 100% zoom.
My semi-idiotic question is, would any of you more experienced photographers clean it at this point? I have all the tools, from quality brushes, to the Delkin cleaning kit including all the stuff to wet clean and magnifier to see the dirt. I'm real nervous about doing this because I'm pretty much a slob and my apt. really doesn't have a dust free place to do this. I don't plan on changing lenses too often which brings me to my next question. Is lens changing the only way the sensor can get dust on it? Thanks for your patience guys!

PapaST

I wouldn't. Even if I shot tiny apertures often I still wouldn't. I'd just try a blower and/or in-camera sensor cleaner, if that didn't get it then I'd wait till I had a few more dust spots before wet cleaning. The only thing that would have me worried is dust spots that weld (or meld, don't remember the technical term) to the sensor. Essentially making it harder to clean. Luckily I've never experienced that so I can't say how long it takes for that to happen or if it even would.

There might be "some" contaminants already in the camera just not on the sensor. I'd imagine those could fly around and eventually wind up on your sensor even without a lens change.

YMMV, good luck.

hrstrat57

I wouldn't wet clean it but I would certainly blow it off with my Giottos Rocket air...on a new $3000 rig mandatory it be perfect!

Horoscope Fish

Unless there was some reason NOT to clean it, I would. Besides, I don't really need any help with screwing up my shots.

I long ago quit worrying about how s--t gets in there; it just does and it always will. When it does, I clean the sensor and get on with life.

PaulPosition

Dust will also get in through zoom lenses. Air must enter and exit the assembly for it to extend and retract or else your zoom lens would be a fancy pneumatic shock-absorber.

Geoffc

I really don't get stressed about it theses days. Click click in Lightroom and it's gone so not an issue unless you keep hundreds of pictures each session.

Now if you shoot video it's a different question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zutty

Thanks all for your replies. At this point I'm just going to leave it alone until I see further dirt spots. As I said, my apt. is really far from having a dust free place to clean the sensor (I know, clean up, but I'm pretty ill and can't do so). So I'm worried I'd let more dust in trying to get one spot out and I've also never cleaned a sensor before at all and am a nervous nelly. It's tough being a neurotic fellow...Grin.

hrstrat57

...nothing neurotic about demanding perfection from an amazing camera!
How is it btw? You are the first human I know to own one....what a kit you have, nicely done!

Jealous am I!

zutty

I am really pleased with the camera so far. It feels really nice in my hands. With the battery grip and a 70-200 on it, it's a real beast but I like that. I've done a couple of test shoots and the images are Amazing! I'll post some here and these are just from jpg's. So, my initial impressions are very good.
D810 E.Prom #1_005.jpg

D810 BlkPt Rd #1_027.jpg

D810 E.Prom #1_008.jpg

BackdoorArts

I'd blow it clean, but not wet clean. My D7100 showed spots after <500 clicks, but I've been changing lenses constantly (macro to super zoom to walkaround to superzoom to macro...).

zutty

I'd blow it clean, but not wet clean. My D7100 showed spots after <500 clicks, but I've been changing lenses constantly (macro to super zoom to walkaround to superzoom to macro...).
Well I took your advice and blew the sensor clean with the rocket blower and it seems to have done the trick. Took 'er out on a shoot today and took an out of focus shot of the sky at f20 and it seems to have worked. Although I took one shot at f20 and now seems to see a different piece of dust...I'm gonna make myself crazy if I keep this up, maybe I'll try the blower again.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

FYI, I've always thought shooting straight up for dust photos was simply a recipe for letting dust fall straight to the sensor thanks to gravity and an open shutter. I always shoot down at a brightly lit piece of white paper.

Rock Daddeo

My D800 gets dust on the sensor no matter how hard I try to keep it away. I do most of my shooting in or around the desert where blowing dust is an issue. The canned air usually clears it up nice. I plan to clean the sensor once the compressed air doesn't clear it up. Also, as others have said, if you post process your shots it's a simple matter to remove the annoying spots.

SkvLTD

Realistically, how often does anyone here shoot above f/11-16? Won't see anything below that no matter how dirty the huge, megapixelicious sensor is.