Automotive Photo

trapperj86

New guy here. This is one of the first pictures of my car out of my new D3300. Just looking for some overall critique/advice. My first DSLR in about 12 years, I took a photography course while in high school, with a Canon film SLR(forget model). I did it in B&W because I thought it looked good with the old train and cloudy sky. Thank you for the advice.
Camera-D3300
Lens-18-55mm
Mode- Aperture Priority
Software- Lightroom 5

Car 7-13 Edited-1.jpg

FastGlass

Nice shot, but. The background competes with the subject. When shooting something or someone, it should be the focus of the image. Your eyes should be brought to that part of the image naturally. If shot with the lens opened up ( 3.5 in your case) the background would have fallen out of focus giving more attention to the car. Also there's to much going on in the background even if having the lens opened up. My eyes naturally want to look up at the R&R sign and the train.

Horoscope Fish

Nice shot, but. The background competes with the subject. When shooting something or someone, it should be the focus of the image.
I like the shot. I like the B&W, I like the mood and I like the setting. The background IS competitive with your subject, though and that's hurting it overall.

There are a couple really minor things I'd clean up if this were my shot...

Warning: Nit Picking Ahead

There's something on the pavement right on the tail end of the car and, at the risk of getting a bit overly graphic, it looks like some tossed their cookies. It would be an easy thing to "clone stamp" out (or however it's done in Lightroom (I'm a Photoshop guy)) and it's just a busy little element that needs to be removed. I would also be tempted to remove the cracks in the pavement by the front tire.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Where did you take this photo? You have a fine car and those locomotives in the background are 50 year old surviving examples from the halls of the American Locomotive Company in Schenectady, NY. Steamtown, Scranton, PA maybe?

trapperj86

Horoscope: Thank you for the advice, I will try to remove the rock pile and crack.

Sandpatch: Yes thats exactly where it was. That train is right next to the Steamtown mall, in Scranton. I dont know anything about trains, had I known that I would have taken some pictures of just the train. I think ill try get back up there and get some pictures of the train.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk