Nikon 70-210 AF f4/5.6 push pull zoom thoughts ?

hrstrat57

Borrowing one of these vintage beasts now, iq seems nice/ok and price is right (cheap) and glass is spotless.

Anyone here own or shoot this lens. This is not the subsequent D version.

Nikonites have thoughts or comment? I am trying to avoid a random kit of overlapping glass with this mount switch. Had as many as 20 lenses with A mount....target is 5/6 limit with the new kit. The 50 1.4 D and the 35/70 f2.8 D are firm keepers...for now the 2 kit lenses cover the range on the crop camera but they will be likely discarded when I add my D700.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have it but don't use it too often. It's sharp and heavy, solidly built and does nice close-ups (not macro). But it's not the 70-200 2.8... that's why I don't use it often. But it's a lens that stays in the car at all times since sometimes I'll leave with just a prime 50 or 35 and if the need arises, I have that lens as a back-up.

Here's a shot I did with it:
75684t-marcels-once-while-daily-weekly-2014-dsc_8720.jpg

hrstrat57

This is the one I was looking for:

75685t-marcels-once-while-daily-weekly-2014-dsc_8721-copy.jpg

Brilliant work! I think the photog might have a bit to do with the image tho?

:)

Any other takers from Nikonites on this lens? I am really on the fence with this one, had been looking for a D version from this family. Reviews say this is slow focusing but on the A300 it seems to move nicely......

I might try and get out to the beach with it this evening and see if the surf is up for some action shots.....LCS has given me a week to try it out and decide.