Slugs during Rains

aroy

With the Monsoon started, slugs and earthworms have started trespassing from the garden. I picked this one on a card, brought it to my table, set up the camera on tripod and waited for it to perform.

One thing I must do is to now use off camera flash to get rid of the reflections.

DSC_8433.jpg
DSC_8445.jpg
DSC_8444.jpg
DSC_8442.jpg
DSC_8441.jpg
DSC_8439.jpg
DSC_8438.jpg
DSC_8437.jpg
DSC_8435.jpg
DSC_8434.jpg
DSC_8446.jpg

aroy

Monsoon not only brings torrential rain, but in a densely populated metropolis
. Overflowing storm water drains
. Traffic snarls, which last for hours, as no one wants to venture across 1 foot depth
. Power outages due to trees snapping overhead lines

As Delhi is predominantly dray place eleven months a year, there is no provision to dry clothes in most flats, so your clothes take days to dry out (otherwise it is a few hours time).

aroy

Today I caught the slug negotiating the leaf. How he got on to it I have no idea. The first few with 35mm, and the last three with the kit lense

ESC_1393.jpg

ESC_1394.jpg

ESC_1396.jpg

ESC_1397.jpg

ESC_1401.jpg

ESC_1404.jpg

ESC_1406.jpg

aroy

Yikes! How bog are these things. Here in Up State New York there only about 1 1-1/2" long.

They are less than an inch contracted and about inch and a half when fully elongated. The images were shot at minimum focusing distance, and still did not fill up the sensor at 55mm.

Lalam

Wonderful captures. Curious to know , what was the minimum focusing distance that you were able to get these crisp images? Is any post processing / sharpening done?

Last edited:

aroy

Thank you.

I do not measure, but I keep going nearer and nearer, till the AF stops beeping. That is when the minimum distance for AF is achieved. With MF you can go a bit nearer. The specifications for
18-55 : AF - 0.28m, 0.31x. MF - 0.25m, 0.36x
35mm DX : AF - 0.3m, 0.16x